Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my grandmother found a pigeon that was limping on the sidewalk. She caught it (it apparently can't fly bc she caught it), put it in a cage in the dark, and now has asked me to "nurse it back to health". I've read about pigeons who are limping, pigeons with hurt feet, etc, etc. but I thought I might get more info asking a question myself. I have a small metal dog crate lined with newspaper, and I put it in my closet and covered it with an old towel. I want to help the bird but I have 3 cats who will for sure be very interested in it, and might try to bang on the closet door. Do pigeons die from stress like other birds do? I might be able to keep the cats away with an essential oil "fence". I live in Spokane, Wa, if that is of any importance. I asked my grandma to send a pic but ill probably have to see the bird myself to see what is wrong with it. I don't have the pigeon yet, I'll get it in a couple hours, maybe.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yes they can get sick and die from stress. Quiet and dark with water and normal bird food or pigeon food will be good too. As for a limp it could be a number of things; salmonella, ingrown feather in between its toes, injury to the leg, or other injury. Hard to say what might be going on there with the limited information. More details would be helpful for everyone to help, or get it to a bird vet.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes they can get sick and die from stress. Quiet and dark with water and normal bird food or pigeon food will be good too. As for a limp it could be a number of things; salmonella, ingrown feather in between its toes, injury to the leg, or other injury. Hard to say what might be going on there with the limited information. More details would be helpful for everyone to help, or get it to a bird vet.
ok so im getting it tomorrow and gonna put it in the cage in the garage, with a heating pad wrapped in a towel. I dont know if it'll get to cold? it's getting down to 40-50 at night here and I dunno how warm the heat pad will be. I will describe the foot/leg situation in more detail once I get the bird. how does salmonella cause a limp?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Please post photos when you get him. Might be a youngster that has not started eating by himself. Then you will need to handfeed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Please post photos when you get him. Might be a youngster that has not started eating by himself. Then you will need to handfeed.
Like feeding seed out of my hand? or some sort of liquid formula? My grandma thinks a hawk tried to snatch it, so maybe its wing is hurt and that's why its not flying away? is there some sort of birdseed i should get, or is regular robin/finch seed fine? sorry for asking so many questions btw

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hi, for the seeds you can buy dove seeds at the supermarket or wild birds seeds will be ok, don't buy he small parakeet or canary ones.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Orange Arthropod Decapoda Nerve Electric blue
Bird Beak Grey Feather Rock dove

I touched its feet and they didn't grab my finger, I read that that is bad? I just brought it home, also found some pigeon food, so i'm giving it that. I really have no clue what im doing, but I hope it'll be okay

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hi it's weird that he squeaks because he is adult ?
How do his droppings look like ?
Is she just limping or losing balance aswell ?
Did you check his body under feathers for a possible wound ?
Limping can have several reasons it can even be egg problem especialy if there is no strengh on the feet ? so it would be nice to know a bit more about what exactly are the symptoms. he could need a vet.

It would be good to check in his mouth/throat with a flashlight to see if he has any unusual color/growth. It should be clean and pink.

You can leave a deep dish for him to drink and lead his beak inside it ( not over the nostrils ) I would put a tiny pich of salt and sugar today in case of dehydratation.
I'm glad you could get pigeon seeds ! I hope she has appetite 😉
The cage is not predator proof (cat, even rodents, ... ) please make sure she keeps safe.

Thanks for saving her/him, she looks great !

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi it's weird that he squeaks because he is adult ?
How do his droppings look like ?
Is she just limping or losing balance aswell ?
Did you check his body under feathers for a possible wound ?
Limping can have several reasons it can even be egg problem especialy if there is no strengh on the feet ? so it would be nice to know a bit more about what exactly are the symptoms. he could need a vet.

It would be good to check in his mouth/throat with a flashlight to see if he has any unusual color/growth. It should be clean and pink.

You can leave a deep dish for him to drink and lead his beak inside it ( not over the nostrils ) I would put a tiny pich of salt and sugar today in case of dehydratation.
I'm glad you could get pigeon seeds ! I hope she has appetite 😉
The cage is not predator proof (cat, even rodents, ... ) please make sure she keeps safe.

Thanks for saving her/him, she looks great !
droppings are green and white
it can stand fine, but I didn't see it walk.
no, I did not, it had just been in a probably very stressful car ride and I didn't wanna stress it out any more than it had to be. ill check it out more tomorrow.
it has a dish of water, but its on the top level of the cage as I don't want to risk a spill on the heat pad. i don't know if it knows that the food and water are up there, but it'll probably figure it out
can rodents hurt pigeons? the cage is inside of the garage, so

·
Registered
58 Posts
Pigeons can be a little dumb at times, so you definitely want to dip its beak in the water where it is or it may not find the water on it's own and water will be very important for this bird. Also monitor the food to be sure it is eating. Lastly, I didn't see any injuries to the legs in the photos I saw above.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pigeons can be a little dumb at times, so you definitely want to dip its beak in the water where it is or it may not find the water on it's own and water will be very important for this bird. Also monitor the food to be sure it is eating. Lastly, I didn't see any injuries to the legs in the photos I saw above.
alright, i'll do that. so, if the legs have no injuries that you can see, what could be the reason for the limp and the resistance to fly?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
The dropping in the photo shows that he has not eaten for a while. Remove the heatpad (only keep him on the pad during the night) and put the water and food dish on ground level. Most important now will be to get him to drink and eat. Put him on your lap and dip his beak (not over the nostrils) in a small bowl of water. Do you have frozen green peas? Defrost a few and handfeed him about 15. His droppings will change when this gets digested and then you can feed 20 more.

Just open his beak and put one pea deep inside over the tongue for him to swallow. Have you checked for yellow growths inside his beak and back of the throat?

He is old enough to be eating on his own, but might be too stressed to eat now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The dropping in the photo shows that he has not eaten for a while. Remove the heatpad (only keep him on the pad during the night) and put the water and food dish on ground level. Most important now will be to get him to drink and eat. Put him on your lap and dip his beak (not over the nostrils) in a small bowl of water. Do you have frozen green peas? Defrost a few and handfeed him about 15. His droppings will change when this gets digested and then you can feed 20 more.

Just open his beak and put one pea deep inside over the tongue for him to swallow. Have you checked for yellow growths inside his beak and back of the throat?

is it that easy to handfeed a wild pigeon? i'll try. There's some spots on the wings and near the right leg where the feathers are all ruffled. is that bc he isn't preening or bc of an injury? is neosporin safe for pigeons?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
It's difficult to handfeed when you do it the first time. Either that, or the bird will starve. It's easier if you put him on your lap (facing to the right if you are righthanded). You can cover his body with a lightweight cloth so that only the beak sticks out. Reach with your lefthand over his body and head and open the beak with those fingers. Have the pea ready in your righthand and put deep inside the beak over the tongue. If he spits it out, you need to put the pea deeper inside the beak.

Yes, you can use neosporin. If he was attacked by a cat, he will need antibiotics as cat saliva is deadly for birds.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's difficult to handfeed when you do it the first time. Either that, or the bird will starve. It's easier if you put him on your lap (facing to the right if you are righthanded). You can cover his body with a lightweight cloth so that only the beak sticks out. Reach with your lefthand over his body and head and open the beak with those fingers. Have the pea ready in your righthand and put deep inside the beak over the tongue. If he spits it out, you need to put the pea deeper inside the beak.

Yes, you can use neosporin. If he was attacked by a cat, he will need antibiotics as cat saliva is deadly for birds.
alright, i'll do that. and my grandmother thinks that it was a hawk that attacked him

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

i dont see any yellow in the mouth

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
so I watched him a little more and he doesn't wanna put weight on the left leg, but I don't see anything wrong with the leg or foot and he grabs my finger with it. his left wing droops too, just a bit. on that wing there are some feathers missing and some ruffled, and underneath, the skin is blueish. should I just put neosporin on it? if so, how often?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts