Pigeon-Talk banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The dropping in the photo shows that he has not eaten for a while. Remove the heatpad (only keep him on the pad during the night) and put the water and food dish on ground level. Most important now will be to get him to drink and eat. Put him on your lap and dip his beak (not over the nostrils) in a small bowl of water. Do you have frozen green peas? Defrost a few and handfeed him about 15. His droppings will change when this gets digested and then you can feed 20 more.

Just open his beak and put one pea deep inside over the tongue for him to swallow. Have you checked for yellow growths inside his beak and back of the throat?

He is old enough to be eating on his own, but might be too stressed to eat now.
should I be handfeeding the pigeon seed mix too? is there specific nutrients the bird needs? protein? (is that why you said peas? cuz i have frozen corn too, should I defrost that to feed as well as the peas?) fat? should i put calcium powder in the water?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
update: the blue skin i saw is a lump on the wing. i felt all the parts of his right wing and then the left and the left one def has a very large dark blue lump. its like right near the shoulder I think. it eats a bit on it's on but not a lot. its poops are green and white still, and it poops a lot. it's still favouring the left leg/foot. im handfeeding peas and a bit of the pigeon seed mix. I'm wondering if i need to give it defrosted corn? and I'm wanting to know if I should be giving it vitamin d, as it is in a dark garage and not getting any light. also, it's still squeaking whenever i pick it up

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
Sounds like some bruising. So there's no open wounds? Just cover the bruised parts with the neosporin, if this stresses him out then no need to repeat.

Did you manage getting food into him or did he start eating?

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
You can give him defrosted corn as well. When getting fed peas, the droppings will be huge and dark green. I would feed him 40 pieces in the morning and again at night (if you think he has not eaten enough seeds during the day). Is there enough light in the garage for him to be able to see the seeds and eat? Should not be too dark. You can sprinkle a pinch of calcium powder on the peas before feeding to him. Peas are just so much easier to handfeed than seeds.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
You can give him defrosted corn as well. When getting fed peas, the droppings will be huge and dark green. I would feed him 40 pieces in the morning and again at night (if you think he has not eaten enough seeds during the day). Is there enough light in the garage for him to be able to see the seeds and eat? Should not be too dark. You can sprinkle a pinch of calcium powder on the peas before feeding to him. Peas are just so much easier to handfeed than seeds.
I can leave a light on in the garage

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Sounds like some bruising. So there's no open wounds? Just cover the bruised parts with the neosporin, if this stresses him out then no need to repeat.

Did you manage getting food into him or did he start eating?
would the bruise be making it so that he can't fly? he flaps the right wing, but doesn't open the left one all the way. no I don't see any open wounds, just a couple ruffled spots and the bruise. he eats, but just a little bit, so i'll be handfeeding like you said

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Bird Beak Gesture Finger Feather

so i messed up, it's been the right wing, and right leg this whole time. oops. the image doesn't show it, but she's not putting weight on the right foot. I just wanted to give you guys a pic of the droopy wing

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
One can't say what caused this. Just give supportive care. Limit her movement and make sure she is eating.

·
Registered
57 Posts
That looks like a swollen elbow joint. Can you feel the joint in both elbows and see if the one is swollen more than the other. It would feel like a ball of fluid if swollen at the joint. So Salmonella gets into the elbow joint and causes the wing to look just like that. We had in late 2019 like that. Another bird had a limp who also had salmonella. He also got a respiratory issue from it because it took us a while to figure out what the problem was. Those are visible signs and I would get that bird on Baytril/enrofloxacin asap if the wing joint is swollen. It may take a month or more to get that joint back to normal on the meds, but that's exactly what our birds looked like with it in their wings, and the limp on the other guy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
That looks like a swollen elbow joint. Can you feel the joint in both elbows and see if the one is swollen more than the other. It would feel like a ball of fluid if swollen at the joint. So Salmonella gets into the elbow joint and causes the wing to look just like that. We had in late 2019 like that. Another bird had a limp who also had salmonella. He also got a respiratory issue from it because it took us a while to figure out what the problem was. Those are visible signs and I would get that bird on Baytril/enrofloxacin asap if the wing joint is swollen. It may take a month or more to get that joint back to normal on the meds, but that's exactly what our birds looked like with it in their wings, and the limp on the other guy.
so the gaint lump bruise isn't causing that? how much of the drug would I give? i don't know how much money we have to spend on this bird...I'll check for swelling today

·
Registered
4 Posts
ok so im getting it tomorrow and gonna put it in the cage in the garage, with a heating pad wrapped in a towel. I dont know if it'll get to cold? it's getting down to 40-50 at night here and I dunno how warm the heat pad will be. I will describe the foot/leg situation in more detail once I get the bird. how does salmonella cause a limp?
so I watched him a little more and he doesn't wanna put weight on the left leg, but I don't see anything wrong with the leg or foot and he grabs my finger with it. his left wing droops too, just a bit. on that wing there are some feathers missing and some ruffled, and underneath, the skin is blueish. should I just put neosporin on it? if so, how often?
You do not need Neosporin unless the skin has a deep slit. Pour hydrogen peroxide over the wing and leg (one time) to clean it. It's fine to keep the cage covered some of the time but doves & pigeons (same family) do not see in the dark. So if you are going to feed it the cage or carrier should not be covered.
The bird will not get cold. It is acclimated to the temperatures no matter where you're located. If you do use a heating pad, be sure the bird can move away from the heat if it gets too hot.
Offer it scratch grain & veggies. Water should be in a bowl it can't knock over. Do not try to give it water directly in the mouth; birds are too easy to aspirate.
Can you keep the cage in your car while it's parked in the garage, with windows cracked? Do the cats have access to the garage?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
You do not need Neosporin unless the skin has a deep slit. Pour hydrogen peroxide over the wing and leg (one time) to clean it. It's fine to keep the cage covered some of the time but doves & pigeons (same family) do not see in the dark. So if you are going to feed it the cage or carrier should not be covered.
The bird will not get cold. It is acclimated to the temperatures no matter where you're located. If you do use a heating pad, be sure the bird can move away from the heat if it gets too hot.
Offer it scratch grain & veggies. Water should be in a bowl it can't knock over. Do not try to give it water directly in the mouth; birds are too easy to aspirate.
Can you keep the cage in your car while it's parked in the garage, with windows cracked? Do the cats have access to the garage?
we moved it inside, it seems to be doing better now, the bruise is also more yellowish green than blue, and smaller, so i think its getting better. it eats on its own and pecks at me when I clean the cage too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
we moved it inside bc it was too dark for the bird to see, and we couldn't keep the light on all day bc it burnt out. its getting colder outside now, and I dont think the bird will be able to be released for a while more. will I have to keep it inside all winter, even if its all beter? can it go from indoor temp (68) to fall/winter temp (20-50)? putting the cage outside is not an option bc there are raccoons and coyotes and the cage i have has wide bar spacing and like I said theres no lighting in the garage. i dont wanna keep the bird for any longer than I have to but if I must wait till spring to release it, I can deal with that. the bird hates me tho.

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
Sounds as if he is healing. Rather keep him till after the winter. Do you have a nice garden where he can be released? He will probably stick around, esp if you provide him with food.

He doesn't hate you. You are the only creature interacting with him, it's normal for them to attack hands.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts