Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know if the medications suggested are the most appropriate but I liked the site because it has all the dosages.

I think the dosages must be correct. But I suspect when it mentions per bird it refers to the average (well-fed) racing pigeon.

For instance, I checked the official Baytril site and the recommended dose (oral) is 10 - 20 mg per Kg.
So for a 500 g pigeon it is 5 - 10 mg.

However, an emaciated feral does not weigh 500 g so the doses could be on the high side.

Having said that, I think I have read that regarding Baytril, even administering 5 or 6 six times the recommended dose produces no adverse reactions.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
I don't know if the medications suggested are the most appropriate but I liked the site because it has all the dosages.

I think the dosages must be correct. But I suspect when it mentions per bird it refers to the average (well-fed) racing pigeon.

For instance, I checked the official Baytril site and the recommended dose (oral) is 10 - 20 mg per Kg.
So for a 500 g pigeon it is 5 - 10 mg.

However, an emaciated feral does not weigh 500 g so the doses could be on the high side.

Having said that, I think I have read that regarding Baytril, even administering 5 or 6 six times the recommended dose produces no adverse reactions.
When it has a range like that, smaller dose is for smaller birds or emaciated birds. Larger dose is for larger birds OR severe cases.

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
We can help you figure out a dose based upon the Pigeon's weight, Pawbla.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts