Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My floor is plywood, painted with exterior house paint. Stays fairly clean except just under the perches. Saw some had wood trim holding in pellets, litter, etc...

What is best to use on the floor under the perches for easy clean up? I put a pan of wood shavings, duh, it was so light that when the wings flap, the shavings go everywhere! Concept worked well tho, droppings do go in the pan. So, back to the think tank...

I read some use kitty litter. Is this standard, generic cat litter? Don't the birds peck at the litter? Isn't that harmful if ingested?

What are the pellets? I asked one member and got no reply.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
I don't really use a floor litter, but I use a nice floor dressing that I put on the floor after it is scraped and swept up. It really keeps it smelling clean and disinfects and dries it out, also.

My plywood floor is not painted, however.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trees Gray, could you be more specific to what you mean by "floor dressing" (sorry, new to being owned by Pigeons)

·
Registered
456 Posts
My neighbor has unfinished wood loft floors and uses crushed corn cob for litter. It looks a lot like pellets. It's supposed to help dispel dampness, if I understand correctly... :confused:

I've been advised that it is a Very Bad Idea to use cat litter on the floor of a coop because it will do the pigeons a mischief if/when they eat it.

(please correct me if I have posted in error...)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My neighbor has unfinished wood loft floors and uses crushed corn cob for litter. It looks a lot like pellets. It's supposed to help dispel dampness, if I understand correctly... :confused:

I've been advised that it is a Very Bad Idea to use cat litter on the floor of a coop because it will do the pigeons a mischief if/when they eat it.

(please correct me if I have posted in error...)
this is what I was worried about. Had a dog years ago who snacked out of the litter box:eek: and ended up with poisoning from the clay. Corn cob, maybe that is what I've been thinking of and people refer to it as litter? Don't the birds try to eat this also?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Try all-natural wood pellets for pellet stoves. You could rake it around everyday and do a deep litter type set-up then clean it up at the end of the week, or after a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Corn cob, maybe that is what I've been thinking of and people refer to it as litter? Don't the birds try to eat this also?
I don't think they eat much, if any of the corn cob, and I think it would only give them a few carbs (maybe) and some extra "dietary fiber" :rolleyes:

"Litter" is any stuff you use as floor covering -- shredded paper, corn cob, sawdust, chips, hay/straw, sand...

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Well......you wouldn't want to use anything that would attract them to eat it. Even if the litter itself were not bad for them, they shouldn't be eating anything with poop on it. I would think that the corn cob would be good for this. The wood chips work well if it is in a place where the wing flapping doesn't scatter it too much. Maybe a bit of sand?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks!

Like the wood pellet type idea, that way the whole lot can head to the compost pile on cleaning day.

I really didn't think it was actual cat litter, but figured I would ask, it's the only way to learn. Really starting to enjoy the pigeon idea, got 3 more on their way and got my first suppliy order today. Very exciting!!!

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Congratulations, braden! Regarding cleaning up under the perches, you can get loft dressing (powder) from most pigeon supply places. A light sprinkle of that would keep the poops drier and easier to scrape up, with no added bulk of the litter to dispose of. I tried several different litter options (shavings, wood pellets) but ended up with plain floor, scraped regularly. I like being able to easily see if any of the birds are starting to have a problem - odd poops frequently being one of the first signs. Good luck!

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Congratulations, braden! Regarding cleaning up under the perches, you can get loft dressing (powder) from most pigeon supply places. A light sprinkle of that would keep the poops drier and easier to scrape up, with no added bulk of the litter to dispose of. I tried several different litter options (shavings, wood pellets) but ended up with plain floor, scraped regularly. I like being able to easily see if any of the birds are starting to have a problem - odd poops frequently being one of the first signs. Good luck!
I use Belgium white from foys. I really like it. As TerriB mentioned, it does keep it nice and dry. Smells nice and clean, and the poops do scrape up easier.

·
Registered
153 Posts
i like the idea of the belgum whit however nobody stocks it in nz :( so i too have experimented with diferent floorings and settled on a bare floor scraped once per week, i add dry sawdust under the purches and this seems to work well

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I use stall dry for horse stalls, very safe, and then some pine shavings for horse stalls (dust free)under the perches. using these makes scraping easier and dries the poops up quicker, esp on those humid rainy days.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Sand is the best litter. I dont use it but that is what i have read.
some love it others hated it, I for one would not like sifting though it like a big litter box...too much trouble, and the birds would pick at it and it would have poop mixed in, it can get moist in humid weather too. IMO a bare floor scraped daily is good, using the pineshavings and stall dry is just for the poop to dry out better for easier scraping, the loft dressing is like a powder and use to disenfect and dry out wet spots from the droppings after the loft has been cleaned.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Sand is the best litter. I dont use it but that is what i have read.
Sand is nice and really easy to sift clean. The only issue with it is that sand retains moisture extremely well. so if you manage to spring a leak in your loft durring the rainy seasons the amount of moisture that gets retained could cause problems for you and your birds.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I use no litter and just scrape twice a day then sprinkle a little Belgian white under the perches after I hand feed the birds. My loft sections are small so It's no big deal for me to clean twice daily.
I used to use the wood pellets but I prefer a clean wood floor these days.
I also keep a pair of shoes in the loft that I slip on after entering the loft so I do not walk into a loft section with wet or muddy shoes on my feet.
Tom

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
...I also keep a pair of shoes in the loft that I slip on after entering the loft so I do not walk into a loft section with wet or muddy shoes on my feet.
Tom
Excellent point! Having loft shoes helps keep poop and feathers from your house. It also helps protect your birds from contamination that your street shoes might have picked up.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts