Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i have had and bread diferent birds for many years and have feed live food to many diferent species
today i was recerching what the lavea in my compost bin were and came across this website and article http://www.microponics.net.au/?p=175

i hadent heard of feeding chickens on live feed before but it probibly makes sence as the protine is high (anyone know how high?)

my question is would these or any other live food be sutibal for pigeons?
and is anyone using it?

these larve seem to reproduce very easily in the fecal mater combined with decomposing straw/grass and are also prolific in my worm farm,

·
Registered
115 Posts
interesting article I compost my pigeon poop it's meant to have higher nitrogen content and am sure the roses will love it will scratch round in my bin and check for larvae not sure if I would feed em to my pigeons but am sure the chooks will appreciate them :)

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
Do not give it to pigeons!

John

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
Well, our (Columba livia) pigeons are seed, grain and legume eaters, plus some green stuff. Free living pigeons may also eat some kinds of berries.

You can occasionally find references to rock doves sometimes taking tiny insects or snails, most likely when breeding, but there's little real info on that around. Wild living pigeons do grub around in earth for sure, and they know what they need of minerals and extra protein, when they need it.

Pretty much anything they need we can provide through well balanced pigeon mixes, some greens, grit and maybe mineral pick stone. Us giving them 'live food' from garden or compost is not only unnecessary but could introduce contamination and disease.

John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts