Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi havent been on here for a while but just to say am up to 30 pigeons now.

Well walte rmy original woodie who was 4 last week was really unwell and all the signs showed to ornithosis so vet sold me 4 weeks supply of doxycyline and that was in all of their water for this amount of time.....

Well walter still didnt look well and so i bought a swab and poop test and sent it off....well came back with chlymidia(ornithosis),salmonella,cocci amd mild yeast......on the bright side no worms or canker..

vet said to start with baytril for the ornithosis and salmonella for 10 days but as i missed an egg and there is a 12 day old baby so vet said dont use..
so he said put on probiotices so they now have strikke in their water....

One thing i cant understand is if they had the doxcycyline for 4 weeks then why didnt this treat the ornithosis...

i do have a mouse problem in my aviary at the moment

Please any advice on my cleaning routine or any other ideas please post.

i do leave food down in shed all the time a\nd my uncle said that is the problem cos they must be eating contaminated food although i do sweep it up regularly...

I also do put food put in the aviary....

Walter seems better and i am giving him baytril indivilluallbut his nostrils do get clogged up and hes scratching his face because of this..

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Hi Paula,

I have only just answered your Facebook message, I feel terrible about delaying.

The probiotics help with salmonella as they encourage the good bacteria which can crowd out bad bacteria. About the chlamydia, Dr Wym Peters says "Most healthy strong pigeons will recover from ornithosis without treatment and the disease could be left to run its course." He also says that " healthy pigeons natural resistance will protect them from chlamydias. " He mentions doxycicline as being an effective antibiotic, but makes no mention of Baytril. Chlamydia is a zoonotic disease so you could catch it by close contact with Walter or any other infectious birds, so no kissing!

There are more that 110 types of bacteria that carry salmonella, I once read that pigeons can carry any of 200 types , only two of those affect man but some of the can be caught from rats and mice. The most common one transmitted by rats and mice is Salmonella Typhimurium which causes paratyphoid. Did the vet tell you which kind of salmonella bacteria turned up in Walter's poops?

As mentioned, rats and mice can carry the bacteria and they are a common source of infection, but so are wild birds and if you have an open aviary and put down seed then the wild birds could be the source of infection.

In his book "Fit to Win" Dr Wym Peters says "the disease appears in the most meticulously kept and clean establishment". About S Typhimurium he says "It has been found that S. typhimurium is not a factor in the epidemiology of human salmonellosis".

Chlamydia is a viral disease which Walter is most likely to have caught from the wild birds (who spread it in their poops) or from a sick feral.

Is the aviary paved now? If not, then it might not be a good idea to put food down there are it is difficult to pick up and the pigeons might pick up an old bit of soiled food, which can't be good for them.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi cynthia...must admit that my aviary is mostly uncovered and i do get loads of wild birds even crows sitting on there so need to get sorted...my uncle is gonna extend for me so i'll meke sure the new bit is paved and then sort out the old bit .......the other day walter was so bunged up his nostrils were blocked solid and bathing hardly softened it so good job hes quiet cos i used-wait for it a cocktail stick to loosen round the edges and then removed a long plug of hard yellow stuff,he seemed so relieved.........thing is i've bought the baytril so might see if i can take it back to vets.....

All the others seem healthy and i think the problems might have come from when i took those 5 from the racing man cos i didnt quarantine them just for a couple of days cos they were soo skittish,so i wormed and did them for cocci and then put em out...

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
I would hang on to the Baytril if I were you, it is really handy to have and you never know when you will need it. It lasts a long time if you decant what you are going to use on a course for a particular pigeon, to avoid contaminating the bottle by opening it and dipping a syringe in it for every dose.

Poor Walter, I bet he was relieved to have his nostrils cleared!

Cynthia

·
Registered
10 Posts
About the chlamydia result if you have mice in the loft they are more than likely reinfecting your birds!
you must get rid of them the source of infection first then treat the birds or you are wasting time and money
secondly if the test used was a PCR it may show a false possitive, as it is picking up dna
left behind???

In humans who have been treated for chlamydia we always tell then to wait 5 weeks
before repeat testing as the test remains possitive for up to this long even when they have been cured
Birdguy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts