Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in south west Florida, it is a little different. We have very little winter, bugs almost year-round.
I just got 50 rollers. I had rollers in GA. years ago and have missed them so much. When I had the opportunity I tried to buy 10 birds But, the man Wanted to get ride of 50. I spent all week building a large aviary and a 10 x 8 loft. Is there anything I can do different down here to help my birds?
Any help or options, opinions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
John

·
Registered
312 Posts
WOW, 50 birds, in about a month your gonna have 75 if they're not separated by sex. You said big loft and an aviary and you are gonna need it really soon.
You asked what else can you do for them?? On my loft I have 1/2inch hardware cloth and in summer I use a horse spray mosquito repellent that I spray around the windows to keep them out. What I do is set the sprayer to make a mist and then let the mist make a layer on the screen, it really does work, I even sprayed each of my birds with it but that's just too much work so I go in at night and mist over them so it falls down on and around them.
Since we are in Fla I'm not sure there is a 100% way to keep them away other than keep them in your living room. HeHeHe......

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

Thanks Heeler,
I know I went to get 10 rollers . The man was in a wheelchair and already had them paired. He keep 10 and I took the rest for $500 . It was 53 birds pairs and loose squeakers . The good side of it is there are ( Mee pairs) . I think they are good birds. I am trying to build kits and separate now . I have a challenge ahead . Any help will be great.
Thanks
John

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks,
That sounds like a good idea. Two weeks in and I have a pair with one egg. I am a little overwhelmed but he had some mated pairs. They stay together for life if I am understanding it right. Thanks for the help.

Thanks again,
John

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Questions ?

I also have some questions.
When I had rollers before( 40 years ago) we let them eat all they wanted. Food 24/7 . Is that not a good thing?
I also have a bath for them . Is that ok.
Before we just scraped the wood floor once a week and clean the whole loft.
I also used de (deciduous earth) in the pen . Is that ok?
Thanks to all that can help.
John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.