Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think the aviaries on a loft figure in to the loft space when figuring how many bird to keep in a loft? Say you had a 8x8 with a 8x4 aviray on it would you figure that into the amount of bird you keep in there?

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Good question, I think no, because on cold winter days all the birds are stuck it the loft so the aviray should not figure in.

But I await the experts to teach us both.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Do you think the aviaries on a loft figure in to the loft space when figuring how many bird to keep in a loft? Say you had a 8x8 with a 8x4 aviray on it would you figure that into the amount of bird you keep in there?
I say no too, aviary is just extra space for when they want it, not living space. you could figure it in if you are keeping a few extra in a space for a short time. but not for long term.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I think it's really not the area that allow for each bird, but the number of perches. I have 65 perches, but normally only fill up to 40 of them. But to answer your question, I don't think the area of the aviary figures into to totall overall space needed for birds.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
No, because my birds cannot go into the aviary at night (I close all doors for security), only during the day, so it is not really part of their 24/7 space. It is not sheltered from wind or cold and on rainy days they would still be inside.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
It could work either way. Birds don't seem too bothered in cold weather (of course, depending upon your location). For the most part, cold weather does not bother my birds at all (in Ohio).

The thing about animals other than human beings, is that they adapt to whatever comes their way, really well. Of course, the more room per bird, the better. But when you think about it, if you have 60 perches and forty of them have birds sitting on them at any given time, then the rest of the space is being used by 20 birds. If a bird feels cramped (which I do not believe they ever do feel that way), they can just go into the aviary and stretch, lie down, or whatever. Even in cold weather. The problem I see is feeding time. If you are feeding your birds an amount that they consume in, say, ten minutes. Well then, if the loft is cramped, some birds will not be able to get their fair share of the food, by being blocked out by the bigger bodied birds. So, have a feeding plan that works, if you have too many birds for your space.

Ever seen a human prison. Cramped sometimes beyond belief. Yet, many of those guys have conditioning and body builds put most of the rest of us to shame. I know it ain't exactly the same thing as cramped pigeons, but it helps illustrate the point.

But having said all of that. The more space, the better. No doubt about it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.