1,504 Posts
Ivermectin
Bathing water with ACV (apple cider vinegar) and Lysterine
Household cleaners, bleach.
Mosquito net.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
What do you guys do and use to control the parasites in the loft and on the birds?
1. Pigeon fly?
2. Red mite?
3 feather lice?
4. Mosquitoes
1.2. 3. pigeon spray with permethrin, and or Scatt spray or drops. Allowing birds to bathe helps cut down on pests. However, you can use Moxidectrin for all blood sucking parasites as well as internal parasites.

4. You can use the above, and spray loft with spray with citronella. Also, mosquito netting is extremely important on all openings. But you really need to get the brush on pox innoculations, from pigeon supply house.

For the loft I use a mix of Basic G and Basic H, it will kill a host of diseases as well as flies, mosquitos and spiders. Make sure not to spray directly on birds, and have plenty of ventilation. We usually move the birds out in the aviary when spraying and cleaning.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
What do you guys do and use to control the parasites in the loft and on the birds?
1. Pigeon fly?
2. Red mite?
3 feather lice?
4. Mosquitoes
I attempt to attack the problem on several different levels. I don't know what the perfect solution is, but one must be careful with the materials used.

1) First thing I do is dip the birds in a Malathion Liquid – 57% concentrate solution.

2) Birds are given regular baths with bath salts and/or Borax

3) Pest strips are used in loft

4) I treat my birds with Moxidectin, which in addition to worms, will kill blood sucking parasites.

5) I have the exterior of the loft, and the entire yard sprayed with a mosquito barrier.

Where I live in Pa. this has worked in addressing the issues you mention.

I have additional powders and sprays I can bring in, if the above does not do the job. But, again, you must use caustion that you don't accidently overdose !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts