Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I've had a pigeon here for the last week who I spent weeks catching. First seen with nylon thread round both feet and legs about 4 weeks ago. A lot of damage was done in those weeks as it took a while to catch her, all the visible thread has now been removed and she can stand on the other leg now (she could barely stand at all before). Her foot however is mutilated. One toe went black and dropped off soon after getting her. Another has gone black but hasn't dropped off. There's little circulation in another one, we think there thread there that we can't see or remove. She's had some antibiotics (thanks Feefo) for a few days and I've been checking her feet twice a day, massaging with neem oil and bach's rescue cream. I've made an appointment with the vets for tomorrow, as I thought an expert opinion would be good and he may be able to remove some more thread, or check for infection, and maybe remove that other black toe. (It will be at least an hour and a half to get her there, then back again, but he does at least come recommended - Retief Ehlers). Just wondering what to expect when I get there as I've never taken a pigeon to one before. I don't want to leave her there for any surgery, I'm already worried about the trauma of the journey. Does anyone have any advice for me that might be useful when at the vets? Much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Don't worry about the trip to the vet...she will be fine. Make sure she's in a kennel that latches properly and won't come undone. Do put a towel in the bottom of the kennel so she won't slip around.
She probably will loose her toes on that foot. Don't let the vet badger you into euthanizing the pigeon.She will be okay even if she does loose her toes on that foot.
If she should need surgery, it's usually quick and the vet will bring her out of the anesthesia quickly too.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I was going to put her in a cardboard pigeon carrier (they are small),would a cat box/transporter be better (at least she would have room for water and food)?

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
The cardboard carrier is fine. No ...leave the food and water at home.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Probably too late at night now for you to see this before you go to the vets.

I just wanted to put your mind at rest as far as the vet goes you're seeing. He is very caring with pigeons and will do all he can to help. If treatment is necessary he operates on pigeons regularly and so there isn't the same worry as when taking a pigeon to a vet that hasn't experience with working on birds.
I only wish I was in reach of him!

Good luck

Janet

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your messages - all is well - what a nice man! :)
I was worried when he took her out the back for 10 minutes but it was to remove the black toe and have a look for more thread, which he did not find. He advised 4 more days of half a 50mg Noroclav anti-biotic twice a day and thinks she'll be safe to release in a week. Any problems within the week to go back and see him but he thinks she'll be fine.
Worth the long journey. Here she is post-vet trip (apologies for the large images in first post!)

Attachments

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
That's great news.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Good news indeed!!
So glad he was able to help and confirm it would be ok for release, puts your mind at rest that you're doing the right thing.

It was worth the journey and all the time it took you to catch pidge initially.

Well done.

Janet

1 - 8 of 8 Posts