Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I am still very new to pigeons and doves. I rescued a pigeon in August who could not fly at all and was most definitely going to get eaten by a hawk or my cat. He lives outside all the time in a coop I made for him and I try to let him fly in my barn several times per week as he can fly now though not well. I believe he is nearly completely, or completely blind in his left eye, perhaps from the attack that I believe left him flightless in the beginning.
Anyways... I keep getting the feeling that he is bored when he is not in the barn or doing something different. He is not super friendly but I think I may have grown on him :)
So I was wondering, does my little bachelor need a friend? I just feel bad for him and feel like if he had company he would not get so bored, especially on those rainy days when its a downer for everyone :)
If I were to get him a friend, I would be looking for a female who cannot fly due to injury or what not.
So opinions? Experience? I was not planning on getting him a friend, but if that is best I will be open to it. What's one more? :)
If you think he should have a mate, how would I go about finding one near me? Does anyone know of any? I'm in northeast, ma. Thank you so much!!!

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
yes I would say he would be happier with a mate or a pigeon companion if he is outside and not part of the family inside. you can get a hen perhaps and hope yours he is a cock..but even then two hens can get along and even pair up.. two cocks may not.. so here is a link to some breeders of pigeons.. scroll down to MA and call around.. also if you look up some rehabbers in your state that handle pigeons they may have some that need placement.

http://mumtazticloft.com/PigeonBreeders.asp

·
Registered
795 Posts
I would think that a compatable companion would be a good choice, if you are going to keep it as a pet.
If not, maybe someone here, or close by can supply a good home for your Pigeon.
I would not, personally, breed this Pigeon. Unless you are planning on Keeping Pigeons. This can be a real challange! :cool:
Keep asking questions, there are plenty of Pigeon keepers here that have been in the same situation as you are in now.
This is the place to be! :)
Also, check out the N.P.A. (National Pigeon Association) Lots of Pigeon Birdies!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes! He is a pet and a companion would be as well! I would not want to breed them. Can he have a companion that is not a mate? I'm 95% sure he's a cock, so would my only option be a hen? Also could I get a dove or a pigeon? I know pigeons technically are doves and I thought they get along but just checking. I love Mo and I figure since he walked right into my barn to find me I should keep him :) he has a very nice home with me. If i were to get a hen and all worked out, if she lays eggs I just replace them with fake ones correct? I found a dove rehabber in NH so I will give her a call. Thank you so much again!

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Yes! He is a pet and a companion would be as well! I would not want to breed them. Can he have a companion that is not a mate? I'm 95% sure he's a cock, so would my only option be a hen? Also could I get a dove or a pigeon? I know pigeons technically are doves and I thought they get along but just checking. I love Mo and I figure since he walked right into my barn to find me I should keep him :) he has a very nice home with me. If i were to get a hen and all worked out, if she lays eggs I just replace them with fake ones correct? I found a dove rehabber in NH so I will give her a call. Thank you so much again!
you would want another pigeon not a dove for him to do what pigeons do. 95% of the time a pair mate and keep a nest and drive their hen to the nest and sit eggs..it is a big part of what pigeons do natrually, so giving him that IMO would be a nice life for him.. and you would just replace her eggs with fake ones. doves do not do well with pigeons usually, a hen pigeon and cock dove may work ..but cock pigeon would be too much for the smaller dove hen. good luck in your search.. post pics if you find him a wife..lol..:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts