Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The RTH won this time, when this fellow came in he had a puffed out air bubble the size of a grapefruit on his crop/neck from a puncture wound, no doubt from tangling with a RTH over nesting territory. We got all the air out and got the puncture sealed back up. He got his bandages off Sunday night and so far all is looking good, no leaks yet and he should be good to go in a couple weeks. Looks like the spring procession of mayhem is going to start early this year.

NAB :)

He's in his defense pose, if I got any closer he would have given me a wing-slap like nothing any of my pigeons could do.

·
Registered
385 Posts
We have a Barking owl out in our woods and it's really cool to see him in real life, but this guy is amzing. Great Pic!!!

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
WOW, Nab! He looks like he's feelin' pretty frisky!!

As always, I'm so glad you and Nancy and the Center were able to rescue this beauty!!

And I know he can Wing Fu with the BEST! AND, look at that intent, take no quarter, look in his eyes!

Sending quick healing wishes with love, hugs and scritches (carefully on the latter two, of course!).

FLY SAFE LONG EARRED OWL!

Shi :)

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
He is beautiful and that poise and stare from those BIG eyes would make me take a step back.

Thank you for sharing his story and picture with us.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Great picture and another great save. I'm still waiting for the book you need to write with all the pictures of your great saves and the great job you do. min

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Great shot of a beautiful bird!

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Wow, wow, wow! He certainly presents a most intimidating image!!! I did not know that other birds used wing-fu.

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
Wow, wow, wow! He certainly presents a most intimidating image!!! I did not know that other birds used wing-fu.
ROFL Terri!

I think any bird with wings could be a Wing Fu Warrior (Warrioress?).

Naturally, there are those who really - uh - excel ! Mr. Squeaks is such a "Master!"

Love and Hugs

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
i wouldn't worry so much about wing fu with these guys it's those feet!!!
beautiful bird whenever an owl comes into my care i always feel i'm in the presence of greatness defiantly a bird that demands my respect and admiration

·
Registered
862 Posts
I'll take owls over hawks in my area anyday. Majestic creatures, hope he claims a good breeding area from a cooper haha.
Kurps

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
i wouldn't worry so much about wing fu with these guys it's those feet!!!
beautiful bird whenever an owl comes into my care i always feel i'm in the presence of greatness defiantly a bird that demands my respect and admiration
Y'know what? You are absolutely correct!! SHADES of FREDDY in Nightmare on Elm Street!

Wing Fu AND Slashing Talons! :eek: Definitely a force to reckon with!

Love and Hugs

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
What a beautiful picture that is and I have heard that even skunks lose the battle to owls because they can't smell that good but I don't know if that is true with this particular owl---but oh what tools it has---thanks for sharing....c.hert

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
i know skunk is a favorite food for great horned owls, that's why you have to be extra careful with them because they can have rabies tainted blood on their talons

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
i know skunk is a favorite food for great horned owls, that's why you have to be extra careful with them because they can have rabies tainted blood on their talons
Ya know, I never would have thought about that!:eek:

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Absolutely - positively never handle one of these guys

without wearing a good double lined nylon or leather jacket and pair of good quality welders gloves (leather garden gloves or cotton painters gloves etc. just won't cut the mustard). These birds have everything on their talons from rabbies to the black plague, they can give you a puncture wound that you won't forget, and it only takes a little tiny hole for the germs to come in.

They feed on rodents and some (like the Vultures) feed on clarion. Even the cutest little fellows can be carrying some mighty bad stuff on those needle sharp feet

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Not really in line with this thread, but pertains somewhat.

I just heard a story on CNN that there is a rash of owl attacks in northern California. Owls preying on small dogs and cats.

On the surface, one would think a small dog or cat could potentially inflict so much injury on an owl that they would look elsewheres for a meal. Maybe food is scarce or maybe the Great Horned Owls have learned domestic dogs and cats are woosies. :)

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
GHOs are nesting right now

any small dog or cat that gets near a GHO's nest tree could be gone. The GHO is the only bird in North America that can run a Red-Taled Hawk or Bald Eagle out of their nest and move in to raise it's babies. The GHO is a mighty tough bird, a full grown adult female can easily snatch and carry off a full grown squirrel, I've seen one flying off with a live 4 foot Gopher snake in it's talons.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
awww, i love saw whet owls, they are sooo adorable!!!.
scary about the owls, if i lived in no cal i would keep my critters indoors at night.
i know when i had my little 7lb doxie i used to always watch the sky for hawks when we were out walking, she had long hair and would hop thru the grass like a little bunny, i knew how she must look to a hungry hawk

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Love those beautiful muffed legs on the GHO!

Years ago, a friend almost lost her little old Pomeranian dog from her back yard when an owl mistook it for a bunny. The owl dropped the dog soon after grabbing it but the infections resulting from the talon punctures required extensive drains and antibiotics to heal!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts