Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

ok guys this is my bird,my room,my balcony and my cage..the pigeon didnt fly because i had clipped its wings..now i remnoved the clip and i will NEVER put it back,the bird is scared as ****..now please see my rooms and tell me with detail how to make all these work along with food chocies,techniques,bird psychology or whatever to make the pigeon not scared..thank you..(i have it 3-4 days now...its female,shall i get a male?i think the cage is small for 2 birds)

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Hi MikeTyson,
I would turn cage to the left, back of the cage to face the balcony with the sitting girl.
That way your pigeon will be able to see outside when it is in the cage and most important get some sun in the morning.
Cage will be good for two pigeons, but you need another one to keep new bird in until they get used to each other.
3~4 days I to short period for pigeon to get used to new home. Do not let him out yet. If you want let him in you room and be with him. First bird needs to get used to your presence and then you can start taming. When my birds see me coming, they start flapping and showing impatience. I change food, water and talk to them all the time. It is important for you to talk to your birds. They get used to your voice and when you call them they will start coming even later when you start letting them out. One bird is no good if you plan to let him fly. Best is pair. One bird can easily forget to come back especially hen. Usually cocks claim territory and hens stay with them.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi MikeTyson,
I would turn cage to the left, back of the cage to face the balcony with the sitting girl.
That way your pigeon will be able to see outside when it is in the cage and most important get some sun in the morning.
Cage will be good for two pigeons, but you need another one to keep new bird in until they get used to each other.
3~4 days I to short period for pigeon to get used to new home. Do not let him out yet. If you want let him in you room and be with him. First bird needs to get used to your presence and then you can start taming. When my birds see me coming, they start flapping and showing impatience. I change food, water and talk to them all the time. It is important for you to talk to your birds. They get used to your voice and when you call them they will start coming even later when you start letting them out. One bird is no good if you plan to let him fly. Best is pair. One bird can easily forget to come back especially hen. Usually cocks claim territory and hens stay with them.
ok dude..i want to let it in my room at night for some hours but when i catch it from the cage it gets very scared and wants to leave from my hand.so shall i just let it in the cage and feed it until it gets used to me or shall i put it in my bedroom even if its scared to get used to?and how many hours should i sit with it per day?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi MikeTyson,
aa and it doesnt go to window..it always stays back there and only comes forward for a minute to eat the grain i put it..it only approaches food whn the small door is open,else it stays back.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
aa and something last..i cant find a male..my friend who gave me no longer raises birds and none in my island raises pigeons...so i cant get it a pair..but i feed the wild pigeons in my area..shall i set a bob trap to catch wild one?but if the wild male has pair it wont pair up with my female right?i'm doomed

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Do not handle her. In the beginning you may take the whole cage inside before sunset and feeding and let her out. Do not chase her, wait for dark and then if she does not go inside the cage take her gently and put her in.
When you are feeding take chair and sit by her. Talk to her, be around.
Take a book if you want and read her. She need to get used to you. Do not worry jet for mate. Let her be with you for a month and then you can find her a mate.
You can always contact someone in Athens or Rhodes and ask them to organize you mate. Young feral squeaker will do, if you can’t get other, but you don’t know is it male or female.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Well, Plamenh's got it covered, but I would just like to add: Don't try to catch an adult feral to be her mate; he will have his own territory and run away at the first chance :eek: and she'll go with him! :eek::eek:

·
Registered
935 Posts
Also just sit next to the cag and talk to her. Keep your voice real even, if you like to read...read aloud to her. I always have spent hours with my birds, just being near them every chance I got.

I know for most single animals 8 hrs of human interaction is recommended. I always gave my birds everybit of that.

-Hilly

1 - 13 of 13 Posts