Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Look at the cutie I found yesterday! - Updates in last reply

Hi there! I haven't been on for a while, I've been pretty involved with other stuff.
Look at what I found yesterday, on my way to taking food to the woman who is caring for my pigeons:

LINK because pic is too big.

It's an eared dove. There were two, but one was dead (like something hit her... maybe the floor x.x). They were both on the street, pretty dangerous place... She is pretty skinny and had an empty crop when I found her, but looks much better today :).
I'm handfeeding her and as soon as she eats on her own I'm taking her to the woman's house so she can start socializing. I can't have her on my front yard because I have a rescue dog with severe scabies and I can't put him with my dogs :(. So I will take her there.
Question: do you know which ring size mourning doves are? Because since they are relatives they should have a similar size...

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
She is very cute! :)

Cynthia

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
What a cute little guy.
I have no idea what ring size they are. Are you gonna band him/her?

Reti

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks!
If I can (and find bands) I was planning to band him/her with a snap-on with my telephone number like the two pigeons.

I just checked Foy's and apparently they say it's a 4mm band for doves. I'm going to ask the guy that told me they didn't have 8mm bands, but that they did have smaller ones.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I could be wrong, but I'd say about 2 1/2 weeks. Awfully cute.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've seen smaller birds flying, that's why I ask :p. Once there was a little eared dove that I thought it was orphaned, but it took off and I was like "Whaaaat?". Haha. It must have been a weird little guy then.
But it could also add up to what somebody said in one of my posts, hand reared babies develop a bit slower.
Well, I was hoping it was. I really don't want more trouble :p!

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I let my pigeon squabs to stay in their nest boxes if they are getting fed properly. Some of them experiment flying early, while some lazy feathers take it much more than a month that too when constantly hungry :p

Your point is very true, hand reared babies do develop a bit slow and catch up later, nothing can yet beat mother nature's recipe :)

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Thats a beautiful little dove maybe its a male bird and they are hungry then a female and it looks really good to me and does not look that thin---put this baby on a mixed seed with some small peas and stuff--that might solve the problem--take him off of that kibble bits and put him on mixed seed "small corn.millet,soy,milo,oats,wheat,sunflower no husk,peanuts,baby peas and carrots,hard boiled egg(for protein) and get some calcuim supplement with vit D (I have a syrup that you add to water with D)---I think it is the food you been feeding it---he is beautiful-----c.hert

1 - 20 of 51 Posts