Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My husband was mowing the lawn and was yelling at me to come look :eek: as this guy came out to "HISS" at him. :eek:

He is an odd looking fellow, not quite like our usual gopher turtles. I usually pet the gopher turtles and pick them up and move them if they are on the road, they usually hiss but it isn't a loud hiss, like this guy, when he HISSES...he means it! He looks like the gopher turtle who put on the MASK, or Halloween costume. :p He walks on longer legs, like he is walking on tippy toes, unlike the gopher turtle. He also has a long tail and a snout, unlike the gopher turtles. He looks kind of like a cross between a alligator and turtle.

We have had an awful lot of rain of late and he must be feeling very comfortable, they usually stay in ditches, but with so much rain his habitat is now nearly everywhere. :p

http://pelotes.jea.com/AnimalFact/Reptile/snapturt.htm

Attachments

·
Registered
385 Posts
We had snapers in our pound last year. They killed 3 of our grass carp and we found them feeding on them.:eek:

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I love turtles, I think they're amazing looking!
* Kinda looks like a snapper, we have alot of those here - very aggressive :eek:
I've moved many out of the road, and they don't seem to appreciate it :rolleyes:
* Yep, that is what it is alright.

We had snapers in our pound last year. They killed 3 of our grass carp and we found them feeding on them.:eek:
I'm sorry to hear that, they have teeth that can bite off your finger. I read that they can kill small ducks!!:eek: They definitely aren't happy campers when you go near them.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
* Yep, that is what it is alright.

I'm sorry to hear that, they have teeth that can bite off your finger. I read that they can kill small ducks!!:eek: They definitely aren't happy campers when you go near them.
Well, if you've ever heard that ducks can drown, that's why :( Occasionally we'll get gigantic turtles in our pond, which dig out the banks, eat the fish, and pose a threat to the ducks. Of course we have no choice but to get those guys out of the pond. They've killed my full grown ducks before! :eek:

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Nice shots of the turtles. I always get them out of the roadways so they don't get hit. Raised one once that was the size of a silver dollar when I found him. Where he was found, he had to have been dropped by a crow or something. They're really cool, but I can't imagine running into them around the yard. Thanks for sharing. Nice pictures.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, if you've ever heard that ducks can drown, that's why :( Occasionally we'll get gigantic turtles in our pond, which dig out the banks, eat the fish, and pose a threat to the ducks. Of course we have no choice but to get those guys out of the pond. They've killed my full grown ducks before! :eek:

I'm sorry they destroyed your ducks. :(

Nice shots of the turtles. I always get them out of the roadways so they don't get hit. Raised one once that was the size of a silver dollar when I found him. Where he was found, he had to have been dropped by a crow or something. They're really cool, but I can't imagine running into them around the yard. Thanks for sharing. Nice pictures.
Thank you for sharing that, that's great you raised one from that size, what did you feed it? They are really a bit more frightening to look at compared to our gopher turtles, and I have never seen this type so close up and personal. :p.

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
What a cool guy. I love turtles.
Having two tame and sweet turtles I sometimes forget that out there they can be quite mean:eek:

Reti

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What a cool guy. I love turtles.
Having two tame and sweet turtles I sometimes forget that out there they can be quite mean:eek:

Reti
Hi Reti,

:p Yep, yours KNOW they will get fed, these guys have to forage for a living.

You should post a pic of your two turtles they are so neat! :)

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I love all turtles, even snappers. You can only pick them up by the tail, because if you pick them up by the shell they can reach around and bite you, and it won't be a small bite. I think they are the only turtles you have to pick up by the tail. I hope you put her someplace safe, she probably wants to lay her eggs. Thats usually the only reason why they live the water. min

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
[/B]

I'm sorry they destroyed your ducks. :(

Thank you for sharing that, that's great you raised one from that size, what did you feed it? They are really a bit more frightening to look at compared to our gopher turtles, and I have never seen this type so close up and personal. :p.
It was so tiny that I thought if I threw it into the lake or river,like I normally would, that something else would get it. So I brought it home, and set it up in a fish tank. Eventually, it needed a larger tank. Actually, I fed him hamberg, and different kinds of fish from the market. Large mealworms, and eventually, I had to buy feeder fish for him. I felt mean, but he had to learn to catch his food. A year later, in August, we released him.By then he was a pretty good size, and mean. He grew pretty fast, as we kept him warm so that he wouldn't hibernate. My husband was afraid of him, and didn't even want to be in the room with us as I took him out to clean his cage a few times a week. Eventually, I bought a really good filter, and the cleanings went down to once weekly. I enjoyed having him. I called him Stinky, as he smelled to high heavens when I found him. He must have come out of some smelly swamp, as there were a few nearby. It was fun. I think if they were out walking around the yard, my husband would have to move. LOL. I drive around a lot in my job, and they used to call my truck the turtle mobile, as I haave picked up so many from the road, usually snappers. I wouldn't pick one up by the tail. I had a heavy leather-like tarp. The kind you snap to the truck bed, and I used to pick the snappers up with that. Just throw it over them, and tuck it under. As long as they can't get to you with that long neck they have. Some were so heavy that you could hardly lift them. They're heavier than they look.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
The picture is very deceiving, I thought it was alot bigger than what you could fit in a fish tank. Thats good you have a leather trap thing. I have picked up hundreds over the years by the tail, they can't reach you back there, I promise you. I have picked the up from size of 50cent piece to 35 pounds. There tails are alot larger than painted turtles or box turtles. min

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
* I hope you put her someplace safe, she probably wants to lay her eggs.
Hi Mindy,

* I didn't have to, as he/she moved right along into the wildreness, but if he/she hadn't we would have moved him. I pick up all the gopher turtles and move them off the road. We have had so much rain that everything is soaked, and ditches are filled, so I imagine it is looking for dryer ground then.

** I have picked up hundreds over the years by the tail, they can't reach you back there, I promise you. I have picked the up from size of 50cent piece to 35 pounds. There tails are alot larger than painted turtles or box turtles. min
** :eek:Sounds like you are an expert. I am glad to know that fo the future, in case we EVER have to pick them up, but I would still wear gloves.

Jay3, thank you for explaining all your supportive care and feeding, Sounds like he/she wasn't the most popular house guest :p, but you certainly did the right thing.

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
That's my babies.
They are not snappers, but they are so sweet and loving.
Both were found walking the street.
Dimitria is almost 10 and Baby Frog is one year old now.

Reti

Attachments

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Reti,

It doesn't matter what kind they are, they are SO beautiful!!! I can't believe the size of Dimitria. That little one is so cute! I see they can sit on the couch and behave themselves, so you have tought them good manners.

You obviously have a green thumb when it comes to turtles too!! :p

Thank you for sharing the pictures.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I wouldn't say I'm an expert at all, but I do want snappers to live long and healthy lives (or any turtle) and I want them to avoid getting hit on the road. Once again man getting in the way of wildlife. I don't understand how someone can hit a turtle. About 5 years ago I saved around 40 one season. In the last 3 years, I've only saved 20, you hardly see them anymore, and when I do, they have already been hit. very sad!!mindy

Reti, I just seen to the photos, very cute. I just saved a painted turtle today and thought about keeping it, but instead I put in the pond behind our house. min

1 - 20 of 46 Posts