Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two baby ring-necked doves that were found in a roof gutter during a construction job, i.e., I can't put them back and hope one their parents return, and there isn't any rehabilitation centre nearby that would take them.

Their eyes are open already, but they're not very mobile yet. I've tried to feed them formula (mac milk) with a syringe and an artificial crop and they seem interested but I can't get them to figure it out. After a little while with them franticly looking for food they become uninterested and go back to sleep. They've both opened their mouths wide once when trying to feed. I thought they sucked through their beaks like a straw, so maybe I'm using the wrong approach, but they haven't done it again.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Figured out a way to get them to open their mouths. I place my thumb, index finger and middle around their beaks gently enough so they can still move away if they want, and I guess that sort of mimics how they would naturally get fed, because they immediately lunge forward looking for food.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Check on youtube " how to feed baby pigeon". They stick their beaks inside the x cut into the rubber and will eat from the syringe. Are you keeping them warm on a heatpad? They are very young and can do with a bit of additional heat.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check on youtube " how to feed baby pigeon". They stick their beaks inside the x cut into the rubber and will eat from the syringe. Are you keeping them warm on a heatpad? They are very young and can do with a bit of additional heat.
Thanks so much that will be far easier to feed them with. I just got some food like that and yes I've got them on a heating pad.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They’re still fine this morning and are eating well. I'm not familiar with their way of communicating though. I fed them this morning and they went to sleep after, but an hour later some noise woke them up and they started lightly squeaking/whistling and half flapping their wings like they were trying to fluff up their feathers. They did this for a couple minutes then settled again.
Not sure if this is just a thing they do when getting disturbed while sleeping, or if they're trying to tell me they still want food. I checked their crops after feeding and they seemed full, although I'm not exactly sure what "full" should feel like.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you that pic will be helpful as a reference, just been worried about over-feeding them.

Is it okay to use left over parrot mix from the previous feed for the next feed? I'm still getting the quantities right, so I usually end up making too much.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not sure if it's possible to tell how full their crops are from these pics. They seem to lose interest while feeding them even when it doesn't seem like they're full, so I'm just sticking to more frequent feeding/observing if their crops are empty.
Textile Sleeve Grey Magenta Close-up
Textile Glove Grey Insect Tail

This is what both of their poops look like
Sleeve Collar Headgear Bag Magenta

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I hadn’t been keeping track of exactly how much just been focused so much on actually getting used to the routine. I had been trying to feed them more, but they would eventually start refusing food after a little while so I just tried more frequent smaller feeds.

Yes they are both grooming themselves

This is one of them from their last feed. Does their crop look a bit more like it’s supposed to here?
Natural material Grass Wood Plant Fur

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Yes, looking better. Do they eat from a cut-off syringe as in the photo I posted? A healthy baby will groom himself and squeak when it gets to feeding time. Where in SA are you located? There must also be plenty of droppings inbetween feedings. Can you post a photo tomorrow morning (or now) of all the droppings poduced during the night?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was feeding them with the cut off syringe, but it didn’t seem like they were able to open their mouths enough and I’m worried if I make the hole bigger they might get formula in their nostrils. They started opening their mouths while poking my hand for food, so I tried using a normal syringe to drip formula in the back of their mouths. It seems to be working better this way, but I’m assuming I was doing something wrong with the cut off syringe.

Yes they do groom and start squeaking when they see me around feeding time.

There were a lot more droppings this morning, probably about 6 or more and same colour as the one in my previous photo, not at home to take another photo right now.

I am located in Pietermaritzburg.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts