Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post in early June an injured pigeon took refuge in my garden I feed the birds daily and the pigeons hoover up any spillage from the feeders.The pigeon was huddled up in the rain next to my back door.I put the pigeon in a dog crate and asked my uncle an ex fancier to come and have a look at it.He said the pigeon was only a few months old was emaciated and that it had a wing injury a visit to the vets was required.I took it to the vets whom said it had a laceration on its wing and would never fly again and should be put down.I told the vet this was not an option and asked for baytril for the wound which she grudgingly sold me.Anyway I kept the pigeon in a dog crate for about a month then transferred it into my outhouse for a further 4 months the outhouse has full spectrum lighting and a ventilation system which I installed for the pigeon I stacked a load of breeze blocks together and used it as a staircase so the pigeon could get to the highest shelf.During the 4 months the pigeon was in the outhouse I would let it out in the garden with the other pigeons under supervision which it enjoyed then it would return to the outhouse.In early November while out in the garden with the other pigeons it flew off I was amazed I had seen its wing was getting stronger but did not believe it was capable of full flight.I believed this was the end of the pigeons recovery and the last time I would ever see it.A couple of days later the pigeon returned sat outside the outhouse without a care in the world waiting to get in.This has been happening now for about the last 6 months I keep her in for about a week after this amount of time she lets me know she is ready to go.I then let her out the longest she has been gone is 6 days on average 2/3 days.This is were I need advice I believe when she is out she is not eating because her first poop is just green bile she does not fly down with the other pigeons and forage she just sits on my roof until she sees me then flies to the outhouse.I have even had her walk up to my patio doors wanting to get my attention.My question is do you think I am doing the right thing releasing her as when she roosts for the first night she still drops her injured wing so maybe that,s why she does not ground very often to eat or drink.I thought I was doing the right thing releasing her as she really enjoys been out but now I have my doubts.I would like to finish by thanking every member on this great forum as without you I would have been lost on many occasions Thank you all.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Would keep the pigeon indoors and not let it outside if he cannot fly well. Glad you rescued him and did not just let the vet euthanize him. Our pet Phoebe had a broken wing and was nearly decapitated and was a feral. Now she is an indoor happy pet. Please keep,your pigeon friend safe from predators.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts