Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just finished my loft and I have no birds, I am looking to buy good birds for breeding to get started.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
I have just finished my loft and I have no birds, I am looking to buy good birds for breeding to get started.
When you say "good" birds, what does that mean to you ? That means all kinds of things to all kinds of people. "Good" birds are actually quite rare IMHO, and that is because most fanciers own typical pigeons which they often have an inflated opinion of. It is also a very relative term.

There are International Auction sites, and there are auction sites here in the USA. Most often they typically are used to dump fancier's excess birds. Then there are the various pigeon merchants which sell all kinds of flavors and brands or names. Purchase a dozen and you might actually get a good one in the bunch.

I'll tell you It's a jungle out there ! Actual honest to goodness "good" birds at some kind of reasonable and fair price, are very difficult to locate. Typical racing pigeons at inflated prices are the norm. Like many other things in life, if you know there is a bunch you don't know...then you better have someone who does know go along with you and help you out.

For example, if you know nothing about cars...then walking onto a used car lot with a wad of money by yourself, may not be the best way to go. You might take a friend who is a mechanic and works for an automobile dealer. Assuming you have a friend, who has a vested interest in you finding a good car at a fair price. Same with pigeons....you need a mentor who knows his pigeons, and has your interest at heart. Even then, it is risky business, as even the "professionals" must often buy numerous pigeons in order to find a real special one.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
If you are still looking I may have some "good" birds for you. I have sent a PM to you with my phone #. Call me and I will let you know what I have.

Ace

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
You will be able to pick up some "GOOD" pigeons after the OB season is over...By "GOOD" pigeons,I mean pigeons that can produce young that you will/can clock in "RACE" time from 500 to 600 miles out....That is a good way to start...Many lofts will have a few of these birds available for sale..Usually the prices are good,because these fanciers/lofts are FLYERS,and not pigeon merchants...They have a couple of pairs available,and I don`t think you can go wrong...But I suggest you buy two pairs from two different lofts,and then you can CROSS them into each other....If you like the Janssen pigeons,buy two pairs of Janssens from two lofts that have Janssen pigeon blood...If you like Van Riels,do the same etc etc etc.........Alamo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts