Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in BC in Canada and this spring am looking to hatch pigeons. I want them to be of fantail or king pigeon breed and for the eggs to be allowed to be shipped. If they cannot be shipped but they live near me that would be great.

Looking for s breeder as I don't need them until April/may

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Not easy to care for hatchlings. Not really fair to the babies. Find someone who has the birds you want and get some young. If they suffer and don't make it, it isn't fair to them to put them through that. Maybe you have dealt with fatalities, but a lot different when you are on the other end of it and suffering, and likely being aspirated which often happens.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I live in BC in Canada and this spring am looking to hatch pigeons. I want them to be of fantail or king pigeon breed and for the eggs to be allowed to be shipped. If they cannot be shipped but they live near me that would be great.

Looking for s breeder as I don't need them until April/may
If you get some fertile eggs rasing those baby pigeons will be really hard and take lots of time. Chances of something going wrong are really high.

If they are shipped there is problem of eggs not hatching etc. Or seller might give unfertile eggs.

If the eggs manage to hatch you might encounter problems with babies and they might die.

Also best to purchase birds/eggs by someone close to you. Too many things can go wrong with shipping eggs since they are fragile.

Some options-
1) Do you have a foster bird (pigeon)? You can put it under the hen and she will take care of it and feed it and keep it warm.

2) buy a pair of fantails/king pigeons and they will start making eggs and will raise babies.

3)Buy a baby pigeon from a breeder (parent raised for about 2-3 weeks then you can take them and continue raising)

Anyways this reply is not to offend you and discourage you. Its just other people have tried and it ends badly. The options I provided you is much safer for you and the bird + and it is not very stressful as hatching a baby pigeon from egg and constantly attending to it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was not looking for your opinion, jay3 especially. It is my choice and our only option because of reasons you do not need to know. Jay3, you make me feel harassed, you have replied 3 times and told me not to. I feel like your following and openly arguing with me at any turn. Please, I have said on many that I don't need your exact opinions on my choice.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Getting a young pigeon would be an option, and we have done much research. I'm doing it during spring break so I have 24/7 for care

·
Registered
204 Posts
Getting a young pigeon would be an option, and we have done much research. I'm doing it during spring break so I have 24/7 for care
That sounds great =) ! Young pigeons are much easier then newly hatched one and easier to train/handle. I used to have a squeaker (20 days old)and I just needed to feed and give him water +some companionship and he would take care of himself pretty well.
I hope you find your young pigeon soon.

Anyways here are some tips to help with the baby bird-
1) Make sure he gets some sunlight ( vitamin D) In oral form or let it have some sunshine.

2) http://www.pigeon-aid.org.uk/pa/html/syringe_method.php ( how to feed it).

3) Good pigeon mix with probiotics and vitamins as bird gets older and needs to learn how to feed itself. You use your fingers in a pecking motion so bird gets the idea. It should start pecking by itself and learn how to eat.

4)just spend some time with it regularly. It should become tame that way.

I just wanted to say Jay does not mean anything in a bad way. No one wants to make anyone feel uncomfortable here. This site is people who love pigeons and a place to discuss about them.He is just being honest about it. Truth can be harsh sometimes and even I don't like facing it but it has to be faced with.

Its just a fact newly hatched baby birds/or any new born animal are fragile.
Even if the person is experienced things can go wrong.

The food by accident can end up in the windpipe and the baby animal can die from suffocation and its a very painful and slow death.

Even people who rescue newborn kittens/puppies would look for a foster mother if they have the option cause the milk contains important antibodies /immunity and knows how to take care of the babies. Babies grow up with better immunity and are more happy/socially adjusted and its the same for birds.

That is why is better to get older baby than a new born. That the owner doesn't suffer(financially and emotionally) and neither does the animal.

I hope you find your bird and I wish you the best. I just wanted to explain the viewpoint on why it is better to get older baby animal :eek:.

If you have any other pigeon related questions feel free to ask !

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Squeakers

Thanks dotty! As for food method I saw an easy one that concerned an icing syringe ( you know, to put icing in and use for decorative purposes) and the end of a glove. Basically you take the syringe, take off the top and take a finger off a latex or rubbler glove and put over the top part. You elastic it on and add a hole in the middle. The bird just sticks their beak into it where the food lays, and it acts almost like an artificial mother. Which takes away all factors of the bird suffocating because they are practically feeding themselves.

I was going to buy Kaytee exact which is said to be amazing. I was planning on adding almond milk, chia seeds and maybe Apple sauce to the original mixture for added nutrients. Suggestions?

As for sunlight I'll make sure to take them out quite frequently , maybe bring their nest out onto the porch on warm days and let them sun themselves? I don't want them to get cold. Spring is only about 16-20 degrees Celsius and warmth is important. We have many windows so I'll maybe just position them near windows for that reason. Let's them stay in the heat, no added risk!

I'm also not quite sure about buying a heat lamp, we raised chicken chicks and used this really strong lamp I had in my room. It can be adjusted and such but it is quite bright. Not sure if that would work or if I'd need to buy a proper one.

I'm also not sure if I'm suited to handle them? Could I take them from their cage/box and handle them ( pet them especially , I want them to be properly tamed) but again I wouldn't want them to be cold, or even I wouldn't want to accidentally injure them ( they seem so much more fragile then other chicks) . I'd really like your opinion on that as well.

Sorry to rant! I just have many questions. Thanks for your help :)

Link to video of the hand feeding method ; https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KyZV2Crqqd8

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thanks dotty! As for food method I saw an easy one that concerned an icing syringe ( you know, to put icing in and use for decorative purposes) and the end of a glove. Basically you take the syringe, take off the top and take a finger off a latex or rubbler glove and put over the top part. You elastic it on and add a hole in the middle. The bird just sticks their beak into it where the food lays, and it acts almost like an artificial mother. Which takes away all factors of the bird suffocating because they are practically feeding themselves.

I was going to buy Kaytee exact which is said to be amazing. I was planning on adding almond milk, chia seeds and maybe Apple sauce to the original mixture for added nutrients. Suggestions?

As for sunlight I'll make sure to take them out quite frequently , maybe bring their nest out onto the porch on warm days and let them sun themselves? I don't want them to get cold. Spring is only about 16-20 degrees Celsius and warmth is important. We have many windows so I'll maybe just position them near windows for that reason. Let's them stay in the heat, no added risk!

I'm also not quite sure about buying a heat lamp, we raised chicken chicks and used this really strong lamp I had in my room. It can be adjusted and such but it is quite bright. Not sure if that would work or if I'd need to buy a proper one.

I'm also not sure if I'm suited to handle them? Could I take them from their cage/box and handle them ( pet them especially , I want them to be properly tamed) but again I wouldn't want them to be cold, or even I wouldn't want to accidentally injure them ( they seem so much more fragile then other chicks) . I'd really like your opinion on that as well.

Sorry to rant! I just have many questions. Thanks for your help :)

Link to video of the hand feeding method ; https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KyZV2Crqqd8

I answered regarding the baby pigeons' food in your other thread =). It is good to have apple sauce (unsweetened) it helps with the crops ph +vitamins and probiotics are good too.

Regarding heat/ sunshine they won't be able to get vitamin D through the windows. You can keep them in a cage/loft in the sunshine which is safer or give them vitamin D orally .Fantails/king pigeons can't fly that well but still. Wind can be strong and it might blow them away. Better to be safe than sorry.

Fantails and king pigeons don't have homing instincts like other pigeons so once they are gone its hard to get them back.

Yep,I think its good to have a heating lamp just in case its winter/ had bath recently and your birds need to warm up. You can use the heating lamp which you used for the chicks if it still works and is adjustable if not buy a new one.

Don't worry so much :p. When you want to handle them just place it in a warm room and make sure its safe . Sit on floor when you handle them if they are very young and can't fly much. After feeding them they will start to think of you as a parent and thus will bond to you =). Then you can start holding them and pet them.

Also for tame ability it is best to start with one baby first or you have to keep them separate. Cause when a baby sees another baby they tend to bond more to each other than you.

Also each pigeon has a personality so some might not like being petted or have some quirks. If you want one as pet ask the breeder for the friendliest baby who enjoys being picked up/petted.

I used to have a baby king pigeon =). At first he was really scared of me and pecked aggressively at me. But after me feeding him he thought of me as a parent and became really sweet and friendly. I would pet him and he would like to watch cartoons on my laptop XD.

I rehomed him as he got older to someone who has an enclosed garden with other pigeons. I felt he would be happier in a bigger space =). He really became huge and is quite happy with his friends!

King pigeons/Fantails are really sweet birds and have a nice calm personality. They don't fly much and can be very affectionate when tame. I understand why you choose those breeds :D.

I am glad to help you and feel free to ask me any more questions =).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To cwebster; we have chickens as well and are building a pigeon and chicken coop/loft. We want to make sure the loft is done before we get the babies, even if they won't go in it for a while. Spring is also just warmer, which I would think would make it easier to care for them due to the fact that they would be ab,e to go outside and exetera. Also I still go to school so spring break would let me spend tons of time with them

To crazy Pete; I think it's worth it to have a method like that just because it would take about 5 minutes to prepare and seems easy and safe.

To dotty; thank you so much! You have given me such great info and I'm really happy about all the questions you've answered. Thanks!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.