Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

My upstairs neighbor found a milk crate in front of our apartment containing two baby pigeons. We called animal control who passed us along to an environmental group who then passed us along to a very strange volunteer who was of very little help. My neighbor assured me she had everything under control, so I left her to it.
However last night when I was coming home I noticed that she had placed the crate back outside and covered it with a pane of glass. Upon further inspection
I saw that one of the birds had passed away and the other was in a panic. Around the same time she returned and I asked her if she was still feeding them. She regretfully said no.. that she had been too busy.
I told her I would take it from here and try to get some help. The bird was soaking wet so I blew it dry on a low, cool setting. One website said to mash up some cat food in a little water and feed him with a syringe. I did this and he perked right up ( I may have over fed him out of guilt?)

To get to the point he is currently in my hallway in the very same milk crate on some fleece blankets. I have no idea where to go from here...

I've given him a dish of fresh water and shown him how to drink from it. He seems to be comfortable. I even named him Pete.

I guess what Im looking for is for a volunteer or bird enthusiast to come and get him. I'm able to care for him for a little while longer but the cats are getting very curious. Not to mention that my partner is totally grossed out by the whole thing and keeps going on about "diseases."

Pete is small and has a fair amount of yellow feathers and bald patches. However he does not look like a "baby baby."

if anyone can be of some help or knows someone who can, please email me at
[email protected]

thanks in advance!

Erin Regan

·
Registered
935 Posts
They pigeon WON'T give you diseases. This site offers information on that.

I'm sure there is someone in NY, that might be able to help. Hang in there and I'm sure someone will pop up.

-Hilly

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Hilly's right...you aren't going to get sick for this baby. Please bring the baby inside. A picture would be helpful so we can tell you the age.
Here's a place you can call. They may be able to direct you to someone close to you. If you don't get them directly, keep calling as it is baby bird season and they are probably swamped.
In the meantime you will need to keep the baby warm and feed it or it will die too.

The Wild Bird Fund, Inc.
c/o Animal General
558 Columbus Ave
New York, NY 10024
646-306-2862
Animal General is located on the northwest corner of Columbus and West 87th Street
http://www.wildbirdfund.com

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone!
I'm working with an iPhone and no other source of Internet.
As soon as I can figure out how to upload a picture I wil.
He keeps trying to sleep in his water bowl..is this normal or a sign that he's not doing too good?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Thank you for helping this baby bird. Same as human babies, they are helpless and without your help will not stay alive.
Did you feed him anything? Babies need feeding and it won't survive only on water.
Please get some defrosted corn and/or pies. Warm them on the body temperature (not hot). Open gently his beak and pop one inside his mouth. Repeat procedure until swallows 40~50 of them. Depending how old is the chick, needs 2~3 feeding per day.
It is not normal for baby to stay in water dish, this is most probably the closest thing to nest around him and he need to feel secure and warm. Please dry him with paper towel and keep him warm.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The volunteer I spoke with said to dissolve some cat food in water and feed him with a syringe. I've done this about three times today and he is no longer squeaking.
Left a message for someone at animal general to call me back...
Still hoping to find a friend in queens!

IMG_0017.JPG

·
Registered
670 Posts
Erin,

It would be better to feed the baby formula. Where in Queens are you? Can you travel?

Jennifer

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi again,

so sorry to report that pete has died.
I wish I could have done more.
Thanks to everyone for the help, support
& guidance.

Xo,

Erin