Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping to get some good advise on exercising my newly rescued pigeon (two weeks with me now). She appears to be a white homing pigeon. I have her set up with the right housing and amenities. I understand that regular exercise is important. My concern is that once I release her into the house for the first time to roam freely, she will not return to the cage. How can I lure her back in when I need to? I've heard and seen videos about professional trainers using cans of nails that they shake to get them back in and they are rewarded with feed. Thanks in advance for your tips.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
In the beginning, you could pick her up at roosting time when she is asleep. Its very easy to get close to them then, and a lot less stressful for everyone. If that doesn't suit you, my newer rescues prefer having a fishing net put over them slowly (very slowly) instead of being grabbed by my hands. Another thing you can do is slowly herd them into the cage. The main thing is to do it slowly, and talk nicely to them. I praise mine for letting them catch them too, lol. It does get easier with time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts