Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Sorry for this geographically-local post, but I haven't had any luck with web searching. I live in Long Island, New York and my 10-year-old autistic son and I would like to find a young rock pigeon to hand tame. (Actually I'd like maybe a fantail instead, but little Alex has his heart set on one of the guys you see around parks and train stations... :)). Does anyone have any ideas on where we might be able to buy/adopt a rock pigeon around Long Island? Thanks much!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi

My name is Pat i do rescues at the train stations and encourage you to adopt
you can contact me through pigeon talk I live on the south shore of LI and
would be glad to help you find a bird

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hi and welcome! This is a great place to learn about pigeons. I live in White Plains Ny , if your son enjoys having his pigeon and wants a 2nd I will give him a Fantail. Also Alex.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Well jemmus, I guess you sure came to the right place to ask. Good luck with your new bird/s. I'm sure you will enjoy them. Pigeons are a lot of fun to have. I have a loft full of rescues. Be sure to come back, as there is so much to learn about caring for your birds, and this is a good place to find information.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hi,
I live in Long Island, New York and my 10-year-old autistic son and I would like to find a young rock pigeon to hand tame.
There's a lot of pigeon fanciers in NY, I'm sure you can ask one of them for a baby or egg. It's some work involved in raising the little ones though.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
There's a lot of pigeon fanciers in NY, I'm sure you can ask one of them for a baby or egg. It's some work involved in raising the little ones though.
Not really a good idea to start with an egg. It's important for the baby to be fed by the parents. The pigeon milk they feed it is important for health and good growth. And it's work to raise one from hatching. So many things can go wrong. Believe me, you don't want to have to feed a new born pigeon baby. If you can get a young bird, maybe just weaned, who has been handled a lot, it helps. But even older birds can become friendly with time and patience. I know. I have a whole loft full of rescues. A lot just depends on the birds personality, and they're all different. Some of my rescues are friendlier than some of my oops babies.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hi, I think if you adopt a rescue bird, you are not only making happy your son, you are also helping a rescue bird to have a home, sometimes you find birds that are non releaseable, and they are also the best companion. ;)

Good luck.

Ivette

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Hi, I think if you adopt a rescue bird, you are not only making happy your son, you are also helping a rescue bird to have a home, sometimes you find birds that are non releaseable, and they are also the best companion. ;)

Good luck.

Ivette
I agree with you. I think that is a wonderful way to go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all-- I did definitely come to the right place! We'll be adopting a young feral with member Patty Duke's gracious help. Thanks Pat!

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
That's wonderful! Thank God there are people like Patty Duke out there helping these little guys, and for people like you who are willing to give them forever homes. Please keep us updated on things.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i just lost my chick this morning.....im hearbroken and my husband isnt doing so well.....the vet said he passed due to an inherent bacteria from the mom.....id love to get another chick almost that young.........he just started getting his pin feathers, so id like to stay that young......he was a couple weeks old.....im in floral park long island ny

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
i just lost my chick this morning.....im hearbroken and my husband isnt doing so well.....the vet said he passed due to an inherent bacteria from the mom.....id love to get another chick almost that young.........he just started getting his pin feathers, so id like to stay that young......he was a couple weeks old.....im in floral park long island ny
Unless you have the experience and the time to be hand feeding a baby pigeon, your best bet is to find a baby that has weaned.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
he was our first pigeon.....the vet said we were doing everything right
I don't question whether you were caring for a pigeon correctly. I question whether you are able (and want to) care for a baby pigeon - hand feeding every three hours. Better for the baby to be fed by its parents. The crop milk it will get is nutritionally complete and provides antibodies to help maintain good health.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i totaly understand......im sorry if my comment came off wrong......it was just a horrible morning.....we cared for him round the clock with the feeding and love and warmth.....i want to ask you...will a weaned pigeon become attached to a human as if he was around humans even younger? i never knew how attached and loving they can be

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
i totaly understand......im sorry if my comment came off wrong......it was just a horrible morning.....we cared for him round the clock with the feeding and love and warmth.....i want to ask you...will a weaned pigeon become attached to a human as if he was around humans even younger? i never knew how attached and loving they can be
Most pigeons can bond with humans, even if they are not hand-raised prior to weaning. A newly weaned pigeon will bond quite readily.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts