Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
I don't see why a player wouldn't buy this pair. No matter what people think about the Sure Bet birds...they do bring in the cash on race day.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Still a lot of money for a piece of PAPER with no GUARANTEE what so ever it will bring Champions to any loft?, I believe it may be an ego thing, the only true test is what the bird does on any current race day, So if these birds are really so Good I wish I could test them in my loft, I'm on the very long end of the race course here in central Florida, in fact I'm the farthest out, so if this Blood is so special it should show in my race results and if it did I would be eating CROW for a long time to come and make a believer out of me in looking at paper!
Wishing all, the best of luck in the sport, looking forward to old bird season starting this weekend! :)

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Its getting there, over $5800 they have had 47 bids.
Dave
This may be a high price by American standards, on iPigeon. But, compared to auctions I have seen on PiPa, this is chump change. Heck, you can buy a pair off Mike Ganus, a few months out of the nest and spend twice that much.....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
628 Posts
The hen's band is Nigai, this is the band used by Steve Mistler to band his birds. I wonder why Kenny Rhodes is getting rid of this hen? Maybe she hasn't produced???? I think people need to do more research before Jumping to throw their money away. I have been watching the "feather merchants" very closely for the last couple of years and am finding more alarming things that dont make sense to "common sense individuals". I'm not implying that there is something wrong with this auction but their is no mention that Mistler bred this hen. I feel this is an important detail that has been omitted.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
$ 5800 seems like a lot of $$$ to me, I don't waist my time fallowing the PIPA auctions, that is way to big of a wish list for those of us that have to live on a buget.
Dave

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
They sure are pretty birds. I'll take the cockbird, but they sure didn't have much to say about that hen. You would think at 3 years old, she'd bred something worth mentioning by now. Probably a dud with a 'great' pedigree. Hopefully this isn't too much inbreeding for whoever gets the pair. Inbreeding works great sometimes, but other times, they end up the same as the champion racing horses did...

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
That is very cheap if I had the money I would buy them for that. Heck you could probably get $1000 ea for the babies. Even at $500 ea for babies I could make my money back in months. I have seen brothers and sisters to these birds sell for 10-20,000 ea.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Oh wait a minute I thought these were childern! I got that from the statment that it says on the second paragraph,"VICTOR" Direct Son of "SURE BET" Then I looked at the ped and he is a grandchild!! Buyer be ware I guess. I woud not buy them!

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Oh wait again the hen is off sure bet it just don't say sure bet on the ped. But it does say 662 so she is a direct daughter. Now ganus sells grandchilden for $1000 ea so I guess I am back to my original thoughts I would buy but it would be better if the cock was a son and I don't believe he is.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
What? The first pedigree is for the cockbird, which it says his dad is 662 (SureBet). Second ped is the hen, which she's a granddaughter.

·
Registered
160 Posts
In 2004 Carey Tilson (an active one loft participant) bought the bird from the Vegas Classic Auction (the first 50 were auctioned off after the race - this bird was 24th).

In 2010, Kenny Rhodes (an active pigeon merchant) is selling this bird as part of his "donation auction" for a grandmother raising three grandchildren by herself.

Somewhere between 2004 and 2010, the bird changed hands from Carey to Kenny and somewhere in there bred some "winners" for Carey? for Kenny?

Because this bird was bred by Victor V, I expect it to sell for a large sum...

1 - 20 of 118 Posts