Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to go up to NYS on Jan 8th and stopped and picked up this sweet Starling being his/her mom couldn't keep him/her due to health reason, so I took Bebe in. Here are a couple of pics, not the greatest pics, lol.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Cute little guy, with such an inquisitive expression!

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much. Bebe is so sweet and the boss, lol.

Treesa, Bebe definitely will be, but what bird isn't, lol.

with such an inquisitive expression!
Jay3, Bebe certainly does, but what starling doesn't have that look lol.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you so much Shi and Msfreebird.
Msfreebird, they really do make excellent pet birds. They love to interact and they do say human words. What I've noticed with them is that they do understand what you say to them and will respond back. One of mine would ask for a kiss and when you gave him a kiss he would turn around and say thank you, their very smart little birds and I love these guys so much, but then again I love my pigeons, dove, and cockatiels. Lets face it I love birds, lol.

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
He is adorable.
I so love Starlings, they are so sweet and smart.

However, George does not WANT to talk. He hasn't said a word yet, but is singing all day long. He will come to my shoulder, will beg for food and is adorable, but he doesn't talk. Oh well, gotta love them anyways;)

Reti

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL, that's George for you. He probably figures if he talks he'll be told to go to sleep lol. At night I had to tell him to shut up and go to sleep, but not George he went right down the list and said goodnight to everyone including himself lol. He's something else, but yes you can't help but love him, actually there's not one starling you don't love, their beautiful birds and very special to me like pigeon.

·
Registered
864 Posts
awwwwww it put a smile on my face.. i love those little birds.. they so interesting to watch ..

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
goga82, I have wild starlings by me and it's funny when I hear birds in the trees by me because I always know they are starlings by the noise they make and being very loud, it actually makes me start laughing. Most peple get upset being their loud, but I love to hear them.

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Oh yeah, they sure can be loud.
Last night George was making such a racket, he was yelling at poor Simon who was trying to go to sleep.
I don't know why he was having a fit last night, I had to scold him and tell him goodnight as he wouldn't stop screaming at Simon. When I was putting my hands in their house he would attack them visciously. He sure was very upset about something last night.
He is back to normal this morning.

Reti

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Reti, it sounds like George wanted Simon to wake up and keep him company or he is getting even with Simon for the time he was sleeping and Simon woke him up LOL. I swear these little guys don't forget anything LOL.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Starlings can talk? All I ever hear them say is a squealing noise. There seem to be hundreds of those around here.

Looks like you have a happy pet. :)

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Garye, yes these little cuties actually say human words in captivity. Bebe is happy, spoiled, and can't forget the boss of the house LOL.

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Reti, it sounds like George wanted Simon to wake up and keep him company or he is getting even with Simon for the time he was sleeping and Simon woke him up LOL. I swear these little guys don't forget anything LOL.
LOL, didn't think of that. He is the boss after all. Funny that Simon doesn't get mad at him.

Reti

·
Registered
754 Posts
talking

Garye, yes these little cuties actually say human words in captivity. Bebe is happy, spoiled, and can't forget the boss of the house LOL.
Wow, talking starlings is something new to me also, I would have never thought of it. I have starlings every year during migration and one day I was in the fence row when 1000'snd of them filled the trees with there calls, I was overwhelmed by this sight but they where gone as quick as they came. It seemed like 5 minutes but I know it was only about 0ne, I will remember that day for life and have yet to talk to anybody who has had this happen. As for pets I have always thought it was against the law to hold them in captive in Michigan without a permit? I don't know but if they can talk I might just try and befriend a few;)>Kevin

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Reti, Simon is a very good natured, they usually are. Starlings are the boss in the house LOL, they make the rules.

pattersonk2002, You can have them in Michigan. In the wild they don't really mimic(talk), some do pick up some sounds like cars, trucks, etc, but that's about all they do. Now don't have coin machines they can get into because they will help themselves to the coins LOL. In captivity they will talk eventually as long as you talk to them. They are really beautiful pets. There is only three states that I know of were you can not have them, all other states don't care. These little guys are not federally protected in any states. The federal goverment does not want rehabbers to rehab them and put them back in to the wild being they are non native birds.

·
Registered
754 Posts
rehab

Reti, Simon is a very good natured, they usually are. Starlings are the boss in the house LOL, they make the rules.

pattersonk2002, You can have them in Michigan. In the wild they don't really mimic(talk), some do pick up some sounds like cars, trucks, etc, but that's about all they do. Now don't have coin machines they can get into because they will help themselves to the coins LOL. In captivity they will talk eventually as long as you talk to them. They are really beautiful pets. There is only three states that I know of were you can not have them, all other states don't care. These little guys are not federally protected in any states. The federal goverment does not want rehabbers to rehab them and put them back in to the wild being they are non native birds.
I also did not know that they where non native but judging by the ten's of thousands I see migrating every year I feel that rehabing any injured starling is just being human, there population here is definetly set. There are a few sportmens laws here in michigan that I also do not like regarding starling's that I do not care to hear about and I myself just let them be, they will nest in any spot they can get into, I will get picks in the spring but I will not take any captive as easy as it would be. >Kevin

1 - 20 of 23 Posts