Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused:I keep loosing my young homers to a flock of feral pigeons that are in my neighborhood. I watch to see if the ferals are around when i do not see them i let my birds out then they show up and somtimes take a young bird with them.Its driving me crazy.there are a few people in the area that have bird feeders and they go from feeder to feeder in flocks then back to the shopping centers at night .They have taken about 8 birds from me in a year they are doing more damage to my flock of homers then a hawk .does anyone have any ideas or is this just the way it is:confused: I know alot of you like ferals but they are getting under my skin i can not stand them sorry

Bill T

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
You might have to feed them, give them enough that they will go back to the mall to feed thier young. Then maybe they wont come back for awhile and you can turn yours out. Some thing to think about.
Dave

·
Registered
7 Posts
Buy a sling-shot.....of coarse I'm just kidding. When I bread my birds in Poland, it seemed as if every other neighbor had lofts of their own. Training and flying became almost impossible. It became a competition to "catch" everyone elses birds. I lost a good many of birds, but all the smart ones always returned. The others.....I didn't need them anyways. Just one way to look at it.....

Good luck either way!

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
you may want to not do any loft flying, and just start basket training, and call them in as quick a possible while hungry, so they will come in quick. If they know your call to come to eat, and are hungry, they will not want to waste time looking for others. so your feed ration will have to get them in. start within sight of the loft a few times and they really need to be hungry enough to pile in quick when called, then start going down the road, they will be hungry and think of the place that feeds them when they come home....but if they can find feed elsewhere....your going to have a hard row to hoe.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you may want to not do any loft flying, and just start basket training, and call them in as quick a possible while hungry, so they will come in quick. If they know your call to come to eat, and are hungry, they will not want to waste time looking for others. so your feed ration will have to get them in. start within sight of the loft a few times and they really need to be hungry enough to pile in quick when called, then start going down the road, they will be hungry and think of the place that feeds them when they come home....but if they can find feed elsewhere....your going to have a hard row to hoe.
I try to loft release until they start routing then I start dropping them out from there.It seams to happen just as they are about to route that's when I loose them to the rat feral's. Anytime I am in the yard I can see them doing fly byes in groups of about 20 going from feeder to feeder in the neighborhood.At first I thought they were some ones birds but after investigating they were found to be ferals.Any one have a hawk they want to send me just kidding stop typing out there I was just kidding:rolleyes:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
. I lost a good many of birds, but all the smart ones always returned. The others.....I didn't need them anyways. Just one way to look at it.....

Good luck either way!
Dave, thats the way i have been looking at it up untill now it kills me to spend so much time and money on a bird then to watch him fly off.I guess i can always visit him at the nearest shopping center when i sit in the car and wait for my wife to shop.you just hate to see your bands( Coming to shopping center near you) :D I guess i am just venting its fustrating:confused:

G

·
is your loft crowded at all ? are you losing all these birds at once ? how many birds are in your flying flock ? its hard to believe that they are leaving an not coming back after loft flying for that long :confused:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You don't start basket training from the start, they have to be loft trained first.
Dave
i loft train first from the start this will be my second year with homers i do not race them i do it for fun.most of what i have learned was from trial and error. i have 6 birds flying up to 75 miles 2 days a week. i have put the flying on hold for the winter so i can rebuild my flock for the spring.So now i will just train the little flyers locally starting within sight of the loft i only feed after they are out and return to the loft so the are hungry on return

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You do this to 30 day old babies just getting settled?
Dave
at 30 days i only place them in the aviry for a few hours a day .At about 45 days i place them in a crate within sight of the loft about 5 to 10 yards all they want to do is get back in the loft . i place the crate near the buck bars they go right in.After about a week of this i let them fly from the crate to the landing board and buck in .once they are doing this with no problems i will let them out on the landing board they are about 3 months old by now doing short flights around my home only hitting my roof and the landing board. As they start to branch out in their flights is when the ferrals do fly overs and some times take one of them.I do not fly them with older birds i did that once they routed and lost one of the YB that was a lesson i learned.

Bill

G

·
i think the bigger your flock is the better the chances of your birds staying around are as bigger flocks do tend to pull in the younger birds in which they get lost in.. Im right on the line of people road traing their birds and my birds have mixed with many flocks thru out the years but to date I have only lost 1bird that way .. maybe if you had some droppers too it would pull your birds back to your loft by keeping them out and about at your loft while flying your youngbirds ,who knows it couldnt hurt :eek:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i think the bigger your flock is the better the chances of your birds staying around are as bigger flocks do tend to pull in the younger birds in which they get lost in.. Im right on the line of people road traing their birds and my birds have mixed with many flocks thru out the years but to date I have only lost 1bird that way .. maybe if you had some droppers too it would pull your birds back to your loft by keeping them out and about at your loft while flying your youngbirds ,who knows it couldnt hurt :eek:
i have a Fantail that i use as a dropper when i have a bird that wants to take its swet time getting back in the loft. i will toss her up on the roof it works most of the time the fantail will bring it back in.i have been loft training the most 2 YB at a time when i get one or both fly off with the ferals it does not happen all the time but enough to talk about it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts