Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talked to a few guys over the weekend they told me they had major losses. Anyone else hear of big losses this past weekend? It was not just one club but a few.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hi White Homers, in the long island combine it took 5 hours for a 100 mile race im sure there were a lot of birds lost in that race, including some of mine. Beachwood

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hope the rest of the season is better. Talked to one guy who usually does really well and as of yesterday he lost 18 out of 20 birds.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I got 10 of 15 back from a 158 mile race. A friend got 2 out of 30, I also heard several in our combine lost a lot of birds. I checked the K factor, it was good. The wind was WSW - good. It was very hot though. I wish we could find the reason for the losses, its heartbreaking to see your birds not come home.
I'm not a Veterinarian but I think the birds picked up something and they cannot home well or the cannot breathe properly.
We need to set up a network that will help find the problem. I am thinking a University or Veterinarian clinic could autopsy birds that are found lost from the races. It would be hard to apply because when a lost bird is found it needs to be shipped to one of the above places to be posted. If a common thread could be found we will have something to work with. In the long run it could help the sport a great deal.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It used to be you flew old birds out to 700-1000 miles and then you bred from the best. Could it be that we are flying old birds less now on these long distance races and mostly flying young birds now? I remember when some old birds showed their best at 2-3 years old and older like the Trentons. Are we doing a disservice to their homing ability by not doing this anymore. I know people that are still flying old birds but I don't think they are flying the miles anymore. A bird that can home from 1000 miles for them 4-500 miles is a piece of cake. A bird that only flies a few hundred miles maybe that is the top of their ability. Just talking out loud don't really know why.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hi All, The long island combine sent a total of 1045 birds to a 100 mile race only 236 were clocked leaving 809 birds missing. Beachwood

·
Registered
438 Posts
beachwood45789 thats a lot of lost birds. I guess they are from 50 or more lofts. That would kinda destroy my thinking because all the lofts would not have the same problem. Looks like something atmospheric is messing with them, cell towers, HAARP, hurricane ( one coming in ). I found some interesting stuff on the internet about the birds can detect infrasound. Article here : https://news.nationalgeographic.com...ng-pigeon-navigation-animal-behavior-science/

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hi Wildcat, i made a mistake 1281 birds were sent to the l.i.c race 236 clocked that means 1045 are missing now that is a lot of birds. i am still waiting for the the new jersey combine results but i know there 100 mile race took 5 hours so i am thinking a lot of lost birds in the n.j. combine to. Beachwood

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow that's a lot of birds. Wonder were all these birds end up. I had a bird show up with mine and she was from eastern Massachusetts I am in southern NY. The owner was very nice and called me back right away told me to release it 10 miles from my home as it was one of his best young birds. She was in my loft for 2 hours. She was back in my loft before I made it home. How many others we never hear anything about.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hi Dbuzzy, look at the band on his leg it will have something like this IF-18 -FOYS-123 POST THE BAND# and i can find out where the bird is from. Beachwood

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hi All, the new jersey combine just posted the results of the 100 mile race from last sunday birds shipped-1872 birds clocked- 788- missing-1084 Beachwood

·
Registered
438 Posts
It used to be you flew old birds out to 700-1000 miles and then you bred from the best. Could it be that we are flying old birds less now on these long distance races and mostly flying young birds now? I remember when some old birds showed their best at 2-3 years old and older like the Trentons. Are we doing a disservice to their homing ability by not doing this anymore. I know people that are still flying old birds but I don't think they are flying the miles anymore. A bird that can home from 1000 miles for them 4-500 miles is a piece of cake. A bird that only flies a few hundred miles maybe that is the top of their ability. Just talking out loud don't really know why.
I agree with you, we need to maintain the long distance families because of their homing ability. Too many of us push our YB's to hard and lose possibly the good long distance birds. Like you mentioned, some families take longer to mature. I know some say they won a 500 or 600 with yearlings that flew the entire race season as YB's and they won with them. It happens, I have a friend in our combine that did just that. So many things factor into our pigeons homing ability, we just don't know everything. A lot of YB losses the last few years are caused by ????????????????? - wish I knew :rolleyes:. The ones we have left in our lofts, what do they have that the others didn't ? Maybe their ancestors had long distance homing ability. But it does not show up in every youngster from the same parents - gene variability. So many combinations - thousands or more. Work with the birds that can do it ( get home ), then work on speed.
I guess - I really don't know but that sounds reasonable to me anyway.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It is just an article from 1998 that everyone is complaining about major losses in races. Looks like it may be going on for longer than we thought.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts