Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok let me start from the beginning
today i decided to wake up late ...
my dad call me around 10 am...he said their was a HAWK inside my loft!!! i jumped out of my bed and ran to my loft. he was right it was a copper hawk .. it must have went in my loft from my little drop trap (i didn't close it cause i was training my ybs to trap the daybefore). All my pigeons was on the right side of the loft and the hawk was in the left. he was trying to get out, so i open the door he flew out. all my bird was freaked out so bad. 2pair out of 3 left their nest so the baby must be dead..the egg was super cold. pissed me off the whole day, i just found out that the hawk killed one of my hen i got from a friend she was a proven hen, she stop laying last year so he gave me her free so i can take my chance with her.

if knew the hawk killed one of my bird before i let him out ... it wouldn't leave my loft so easy.:mad:
i could have release him miles from my house !!

only thing good about today is that my swift laid an egg!!!!:D

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
ok let me start from the beginning
today i decided to wake up late ...
my dad call me around 10 am...he said their was a HAWK inside my loft!!! i jumped out of my bed and ran to my loft. he was right it was a copper hawk .. it must have went in my loft from my little drop trap (i didn't close it cause i was training my ybs to trap the daybefore). All my pigeons was on the right side of the loft and the hawk was in the left. he was trying to get out, so i open the door he flew out. all my bird was freaked out so bad. 2pair out of 3 left their nest so the baby must be dead..the egg was super cold. pissed me off the whole day, i just found out that the hawk killed one of my hen i got from a friend she was a proven hen, she stop laying last year so he gave me her free so i can take my chance with her.

if knew the hawk killed one of my bird before i let him out ... it wouldn't leave my loft so easy.:mad:
i could have release him miles from my house !!

only thing good about today is that my swift laid an egg!!!!:D
Even if you let it go 100 miles from your loft it would have been back. You really have to lock your loft up if you aint out their with your birds. Even worse from the way I take it you left the trap open all night your lucky it was only a hawk that got one. It could have been a raccoon or a family of raccoons and all you would have had was a pile of dead birds in the corner of the loft. It happend to me when I was like 10 and all my tipplets about a 100 of them were all killed. Ever since then I make sure the birds are ok and the coops are locked up b4 I go to sleep. I even had i a few years ago where the back plywood on the loft was a ll sof becasue it had gotten old and the raccoon got in by ripping the plywood off and killed 4 out of the 10 birds on my race team that year and what made it even worse they were my better birds on that team. Plus it was in the middle of young bird season so it messed up the rest of the birds as they weren't in a rush to get home anymore after that.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Lock the trap at night. Lesson learned. When I have missing/late birds, they wait for me before they come in because the trap is closed. You can't be too over careful.

Sorry about your hen.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Even if you let it go 100 miles from your loft it would have been back. You really have to lock your loft up if you aint out their with your birds. Even worse from the way I take it you left the trap open all night your lucky it was only a hawk that got one. It could have been a raccoon or a family of raccoons and all you would have had was a pile of dead birds in the corner of the loft. It happend to me when I was like 10 and all my tipplets about a 100 of them were all killed. Ever since then I make sure the birds are ok and the coops are locked up b4 I go to sleep. I even had i a few years ago where the back plywood on the loft was a ll sof becasue it had gotten old and the raccoon got in by ripping the plywood off and killed 4 out of the 10 birds on my race team that year and what made it even worse they were my better birds on that team. Plus it was in the middle of young bird season so it messed up the rest of the birds as they weren't in a rush to get home anymore after that.
it always happen to the better bird..

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lock the trap at night. Lesson learned. When I have missing/late birds, they wait for me before they come in because the trap is closed. You can't be too over careful.

Sorry about your hen.
yea ..never letting that happen again

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I personally would lock the loft up, rather than endangering the whole loft for 1 bird. Either that, or move all of the birds into another section, and leave the trap open so the 1 bird could get back in.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
this was 100% preventable..not going to chew you out...but your little red mad face should be directed at your own self not the hawk.... but you may already have figured that out..

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have had it happen to me several times before I learned my lesson. At least the hawk only kills and eats one bird. I had an owl get in once and he killed 8 birds in one night. He would eat the best part of the meat, then kill another.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
this was 100% preventable..not going to chew you out...but your little red mad face should be directed at your own self not the hawk.... but you may already have figured that out..
lol it wasn't for the hawk... the hawk was just too too hungry i guess

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i bet that must have been a site seeing a hawk in the loft i would have been in shock!
yea! i was so surprise it went down the trap ... it was kinda small .. my pigeon dont even like dropping drop cause it so small

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Thats the only way to go.Unfortunately some mistakes are costly but its one thats done now ,its all about moving on and learning from it.
can't learn if one does not make mistakes for sure...sometimes the cost is a life, too bad... no where else to go but forward now..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts