Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I'm new to this site. Was wondering if anyone could help explain this toss for me. 55 mile toss with birds that have been tossed at this distance 5 times already, took them yesterday and lost 47 of 73 birds and can't figure it out. Health is the best I've seen it all year (droppings and wattles) and had nice weather all day. Any ideas:confused:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I live in Georgia, and fly with the peach state combine. As far as I know of there are no races started yet that would cross my training path. Also I train off line of most flyers in my area

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Ah, but in what direction do you train? We have quite a few combines in and around NC, all of which may not be going the same direction. Even though racing hasn't started around here, there's still a good amount of people training about the same distance as you are right now. It's possible yours could have collided with another flock, and really messed up the judgement of some of them. Or, they could have tired out by the time they realized they were with the wrong group, etc. There's a good chance you'll have some more back in the next few days. Just continue to loft fly around the house is anything else. Maybe those lost will see their family and come 'running' :D

Other things can do the same. Hawks, ferals, and planes (I have seen low flying planes really scare the crap out of my birds). Mated birds may loaf around too long if released together, and some of the younger or less quality birds may go down too soon and take others with them.

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
I live in Georgia, and fly with the peach state combine. As far as I know of there are no races started yet that would cross my training path. Also I train off line of most flyers in my area
HI FREEBIRD, The DOVE hunting season is about to start but they do not start on the same day in all states best you check to see if it has started in your state or any of the states that your birds fly over,also check your birds to see if there may be some wounds from buck shot. GEORGE ;)

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Hey there and welcome to Pigeon Talk. Is this by any chance Chris Freeman? If it is, then this is Dan Detweiler and we are sharing the same fate to some extent.

Dan

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Dan, Yeah it's me did you also train saturday morning around 9:00, I was trying a method of training where you every now and then train a little off line to "wake up their homing ability" guess my birds are still asleep. I went north instead of north east. But had already trained them 20 miles around the loft in all directions before starting the line of flight north east. Did have one bird with a chest wound but only a small snag. Just going to loft fly tommorrow then a 30 mile reminder toss northeast and only line of flight training from now on!

G

·
well just about anything can happen along the flight path from their release to home so you will never really know the cause ..with that said its hard to come up with a new plan or approach on how to deal with it ..I do know that the hawks are starting to asend in multiple numbers being that the young have pretty much left the nest and are fending for themselves now, so think of it as birds or prey times 3 or 4 what it was in may and june which truely can wreak havock on a flock of pigeons passing thru the line of training flights ;)

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Sorry to hear the loss bug has bitten you now too. Seems like everyone I have talked to has suffered heavy losses this year. Just when you think you are starting to figure this racing thing out somewhat, the pigeon Gods have to go and put us back in our place!

Who knows what has caused all this. For me it seems like I was fighting a bout of respiratory that I was unaware of. I kept waiting for them to start flying well and it just never happened. By the time I treated for respiratory and the birds started flying better, I had lost a month of training. I just hope they make it home from those first two 100's. I may be shipping a smaller team in order to give the others a chance to catch up. We'll see.

Good Luck and I will see you on shipping night.

Dan

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had 11 birds return on Sunday, so hopefully with 37 I'll have enough left for old bird season next year. Probably will only ship 10 birds per week now, with 73 I planned on shipping 2 teams sending 34 every week.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Wow, that is a big loss of birds in one toss, that sucks man :(. I would suspect like Becky, and say some of your birds might have joined another flock and got off track. Kinda hard to have most of your birds shot out of the air like that :eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I had 11 birds return on Sunday, so hopefully with 37 I'll have enough left for old bird season next year. Probably will only ship 10 birds per week now, with 73 I planned on shipping 2 teams sending 34 every week.
Glad to hear you got a portion of them back. Hopefully more will trickle in over the next few days. I think this young bird season is going to be a war of attrition more than anything else. We'll see what happens. Somehow I don't think the trailer is going to get full any time soon!

Dan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts