Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help
On 7/8 October a racing pigeon landed on my patio during a heavy storm, it stayed for 5 days, I tracked the owner and called him. He can to pick it up, he gave it a once over, it’s not injured. He said he doesn’t know it’s missing and what it’s doing miles away. Anyways off they go . The very next day the pigeon is back.
I figured it’s not happy where it is and owner probably doesn’t know he’s missing again! Owner doesn’t care? Anyways he’s been living on my patio since. I use a square table, bought an outdoor cathouse waterproof cover that doesn’t fit properly. I need help, firstly on thoughts of a permanent home for him (my patio is small). I’ve been taking it in on bad days like today. Kept it in a cat’s carrier. Yes I have 2 predatory cats. For a week now he seems to be shedding small fluffy feathers, could it be a diet issue? When it first arrived I never see these feathers. By the way I am allergic to feathers and have started to wheeze due to these tiny feathers plus it’s also shedding small white pieces of scales looking stuff. I have started wearing a face mask. Is it the diet that’s making it shed these feathers? Please advise on diet and also what to do wit its bowl of food & water… poop in them if I put inside the temporary shelter. I put it out when weather is nice, the food gets soaked otherwise. I use my cats heavy bowls. Weather is getting worse. Tonight winds up to 53mph, I’ve taken him in. He’s been given a name. I don’t know how to look after it properly. Winter is upon us soon. Any thoughts advice etc is much needed. I don’t know what’s going to happen in spring… both cats are entertained but showing predatory moves. Twice my alpha male cat had tried to catch it. He goes out for a quick fly about, some times twice per day. Am/pm. Recently it’s only away for few minutes before it’s back again.
Thank very much everyone. It’s my responsibility now. I give it a generic wild bird mixture feed.
I need practical knowledgable opinions. I have spine facet joints issues, chronic pain. I use mostly torn out Amazon boxes/brown paper. Change them every day. Ask my neighbour to recycle his amazon boxes to me.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
He is moulting, they lose a lot of feathers but new ones will start growing. Is there no place outside where you can put up a safe sleeping spot for him? Do you have a garage with a window so you can teach him to come and go through an open window?
Recipe Ingredient Food Dish Font

You can offer him a variety of seeds as in the list.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for the ss of the seeds for them.
No to your question about a safe space. I live in a flat, with a south facing patio.
Last night was ferocious. When he first arrived he sheltered under my bay tree pot. I have few pots of plants and have very little space. Today the weather improved, I let him out finally, he flew off for a while, and came back twice whilst I was reorganising/cleaning his space. Today, whilst I let him out, he let out his poop it was green and watery. Normally, his poop looks like pigeon poops.
Thanks for sharing about the moulding .Was kind of struggling, two cats, one male, recovering from cystotomy op, the other MC female. Early morning I brought it out, and somehow suddenly both seems less predatory. `I left it by the sitting room door, in the carrier, it’s got a tunnel attached, `I lined it with cardboard. They were all looking at each other. With this feed info, and my rearrangement, I’ve turn the south facing square apartment 😊 door (that plastic cover have zips for doors. It’s designed for outdoor cat’s/bunny etc house. Hopefully it’s better. I put a brick on top of it to stop win blowing the cover off. I zipped one side, right now the wind is West south west it seems. He seems very happy but just wary of me. Him and the cats are cool, even when I left the french doors open. I put another bigger heavier bowl on top of his home. He sat on the brick drank and ate those mixture. Will check it properly. Hope to come back soon and check out other threads on Pigeons and doves. I don’t believe in keeping birds in a cage. I will check later if he got the hint, his door had been switched facing west/sunset. It’s sheltered by 2 50cm pots nectarine/raspberries canes. I have another tub that’s full of catnip, he like chilling in that too. He’s completely flatten out my cat’s grasses in a smaller pot. So I put an olive plant right in front of his slanted open doors. I use a peg to keep one side unzipped, open at 45degrees slant. I change the height of the four bricks to give it height. Got some wooden apple crate, might get a waterproof spray or paint. That’s for to do list, What sort of bed would you make for a pigeon like him. He’s officially registered with the racing pigeon association. Will come back to read/ glean more info on similar threads about missing lost unwanted homing/racing pigeon. I hope it finds a GF in spring. The owner check his rings and called it a him. So assuming his a boy. I hope it would settle down more. He came days before my cat got blocked and had to be operated. He stayed in the vets clinics for 5 days. Him and the pigeon had been keeping each other company with a glass in between them.
Cheers @ Marina B. Maybe it will leave and make a new home with a partner. I will try to read up on the breed itself.
👍✌

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't recommend you keep your pigeon any where where your cats could reach them, especially if you are not around Even domestic cats have a hunting instinct. They might attack your bird when you are not looking. It's better to be safe than sorry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts