Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Sunday 9/11/16 a white pigeon I recently rescued and nursed to health escaped while we were cleaning his loft. His name is Pidgey and he is unbanded (unfortunately). I can't think of any prominent features other than his white color, we think he might have been a King Pigeon but we are unsure. He escaped from Brockton, MA, Plymouth County. If anyone sees anything please let me know. Thank you!
Here is a 'poster' that was made by a local lost and found pet group. Please contact me here or at [email protected]

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Hope he shows up. Have you put out food and water and looked for him just after dawn and dusk in case he tries to return to the loft?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We did leave food out for a couple days and left the loft door open for him to return to but there wasn't any signs of him. He hung around our house on a house on the street behind ours for an hour or so on the day he escaped, but when we took our eyes off him for a brief moment he had taken off.
Just double checking but if he were to return it would be more likely for him to show up at dawn or dusk? Either way I'll continue to put some food out and keep an eye out for him.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Blue showed up at dawn and dusk and hid during the day because of the Hawks. I put a dish of food and dish of water on the roof near his shed.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
We did leave food out for a couple days and left the loft door open for him to return to but there wasn't any signs of him. He hung around our house on a house on the street behind ours for an hour or so on the day he escaped, but when we took our eyes off him for a brief moment he had taken off.
Just double checking but if he were to return it would be more likely for him to show up at dawn or dusk? Either way I'll continue to put some food out and keep an eye out for him.
No. He could show up anytime. All depends on the bird.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How far can a Pigeon go if he is lost? I might have a lead towards finding him but its around 30 miles away? Could he travel that far since Sunday and could this be him?

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Of course. They can travel quite a distance. Did someone see a white pigeon?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah that good to hear! I'm really hoping this is him. I'm trying not to get my hopes up though. I'm really praying that this guy found him.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He reported a found white pigeon today to the MSPCA site a little before I submitted a lost pigeon report to the same site.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
I'd go check it out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good News!

Today we went and met the guy who possibly had Pidgey, and from what we can tell it seems to be him! He's got similar blood feathers coming in around the neck (something that completely slipped my mind as a possible descriptor to help find him OTL) and a small cut on his ankle which the vet pointed out to us last time we went in with him. Also the man who found him said he had found this bird later on the same day Pidgey escaped. He doesn't look the best right now and he definitely seems like he's still stressed out so it's hard to tell by behavior if its him. But with the circumstantial evidence I think it really is him.

Sadly he didn't have a lot of space to move around in so he was dirty from walking in his own droppings and we gently washed him off with just some luke-warm water. I did notice that he seemed to have lice or mites on him, so we used some Ultra Care Mite and Lice Bird Spray we picked up. Will this effectively get ride of the feather lice on a pigeon? If so, how long on average does it take for them to completely die off? If not what would you suggest?

I'd just like to thank all of you who gave me support and advice in finding Pidgey. This site is such a great resource for a new pigeon owner and I'm glad I found it. As soon as I can I'm getting him banded so there will be a better way to find him if this ever happens again.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Thant's wonderful news! I'm glad you found him. Now don't let him get away again.
How did he escape the first time? There may be a way to prevent it again.
That should take care of any mites. If not, dusting him with Sevin 5% garden dust that you can pick up in any hardware store works great. Just don't get it in his face. Dust under the wings and tail on back.
For now, you can pet some fingernail polish on one claw to identify him.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, we were cleaning the loft when he escaped, the door can't really shut when we bring the garden hose in there so it was open enough for him to escape. I took him off of the perch/shelf he was on so my dad could hose it off, and placed him on a lower perch. He sat there for a second and then flew back to the perch he was originally on while my dad still had the hose on. His feet were getting sprayed and he didn't enjoy that too much so he took off out the door.
We'll have to put him in a carrier while we clean it out next time so he doesn't fly out.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Are you talking about a loft or an aviary? As a loft shouldn't be hosed down. A loft needs to be very dry, so you would scrape it, not hose it.
How large is the area?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry I meant an aviary I think, I'm not used to all the terms yet.
Its 8'x4'x6', LxWxH but it slopes down on one side. The floor is drainage rock on top of 1/2" wire mesh. It's not all wire though, we wanted to keep him protected from the weather. We're going to section a bit off or add some kind of divider for him to keep warm in the winter, but we haven't decided how we're going to do that yet.
I attached a picture of it, but I'm not 100% sure it sent right. Also excuse the mess this was taken after he flew out.

Attachments

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Thanks, that helps a lot.
First af all, it should be scraped with a hand scraper, into a dust pan. Much easier than wetting everything, and it keeps the environment dry. A dry environment is important, as bacteria which causes disease loves it damp. Dry environments help to prevent disease. Important.
Hand Scraper

Then, as a way of stopping him from flying out when you enter the area, if you buy pet screen, which is very strong and flexible, you can staple it above the door frame, and let it hang to the ground. When you enter, you close the door and then just push through the screen. It would also work when you have a hose coming in and can't close the door completely. Still better to confine him during hosing. But you really shouldn't be hosing it down. Scrape the perches daily or weekly and it will stay nice and dry, which is what it needs to be. It's very easy and quick. And you don't need to confine him to do it.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
I should also add that things can dig under and get into him. I would have run hardware cloth across the bottom and then you could fill it with sand that you could sift periodically like a cat box.

EDIT:
I reread and noticed that you put the drainage rock on top of 1/2 wire mesh. That's great. It stops things from digging under. But for the loft part where you will enclose, a different floor will be needed to be able to clean it.
It's very nice though. And will be great once you close up part for the winter.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts