Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my hens is a bit sick. She drinks a lot and is passing clear smelly water. Any ideas about what it might be? She stopped eating but now she is eating again but seems like she could relapse.

·
Registered
12,522 Posts
Do you keep any antibiotics around?

Any way you can take and post some pictures of the bird and the poops?

Pidgey

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Kidney problem is usually cause but source of the problem needs to be determined. Please post pictures of poop as pidgey suggested and separate bird from others immediately.

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Sounds a lot like internal canker (also called wet canker). But the other questions are important to determine this. Birds with wet canker will often have a penguin posture, standing upright, with the tail down, and the crop/neck often looks 'swollen'.

Another thing that smells is e coli, but I'm not sure if that would cause clear droppings or not. It can disrupt the digestive system pretty badly, so I suppose it's possible.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Sounds a lot like internal canker (also called wet canker). But the other questions are important to determine this. Birds with wet canker will often have a penguin posture, standing upright, with the tail down, and the crop/neck often looks 'swollen'.

Another thing that smells is e coli, but I'm not sure if that would cause clear droppings or not. It can disrupt the digestive system pretty badly, so I suppose it's possible.
I agree with Becky on the E. Coli
Do you have any probiotics to give?
I would go with a 5 day course of probiotics.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts