Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For one week now, the poop has been watery, pools of water around poop. Bird is very thirsty. Occasionally vomited (about three times per week).
Bird has lived indoors only, for about 7 years, and had no contact with any other birds or animals. I give it Vitamins (e.g. D3), minerals, grit. Her diet has not changed: she eats barley, corn, green and yellow peas, sunflower seeds in shells, buckwheat. There has not been any changes in her diet, her living arrangements, etc, for 7 years.
Her appetite has not diminished, she is not fluffy, not lethargic, does not look sick.
She laid eggs, once a month, all these years, but her egging never caused any problems such as water in her poop.
I do not see many posts here with "watery poop", and those which have such tag have no "outcome", or "resolution" or "Post-Mortem" with description of what happened to the bird eventually, what helped, etc.
Another possible disease is kidney failure. I have been giving to her Kaytee's Hi-Cal Grit, which I just realized has SALT in it! Perhaps, salt destroyed kidneys! (This is only one out of many possible reasons).
I am giving her Metronidazole, in pill (tablet) form, not in water, 50 mg. I shove the pill down her throat and she swallows the pill. Once a day, for total of 7 days.

UPDATE: after 7 days of Metronidazole, she seems to be almost cured, except for some remaining water in her droppings, but the droppings are almost normal now.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
How much Metro are you giving? Are you giving it in the water or a tablet down the throat?

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Half-a-tablet per day, for 7 days, as directed by people who give me the med. They have hundreds of pigeons, and they had it for many decades.
I edited my original post: added more stuff.
That doesn't tell me anything. Don't know what you are giving, or how many mg.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
For one week now, the poop was watery, pools of water around poop. Bird is very thirsty. Occasionally vomited (about three times per week).
Bird has lived indoors only, for about 7 years, and had no contact with any other birds or animals. I give it Vitamins (e.g. D3), minerals, grit. Her diet has not changed: she eats barley, corn, green and yellow peas, sunflower seeds in shells, buckwheat. There has not been any changes in her diet, her living arrangements, etc, for 10 years.
Her appetite has not diminished, she is not fluffy, not lethargic, does not look sick.
She layed eggs, once a month, all these years, but her egging never caused so much water in her poop. Egging never caused any problems.
I am giving her Metronidazole for three days now, but it did not help. Metronidazole tablet is split in half, as directed by other pigeon lovers who have decades of pigeon keeping experience.

I shove the pill down her throat and she swallows the pill. Once a day. For three days now. Four more days to give her Metronidazole, for total of 7 days.
But it does not help on third day, which clearly means it will never help.

Not working in 3 days does not mean that it won't help. Takes longer than that. But not knowing how much you are giving, doesn't help either. An adult pigeon should be getting 50 mg once daily for 7 to 10 days. Sometimes it can take a couple of weeks to work. That is if canker were the problem.

I do not know the pill's contents such as dosage, except that it is Metronidazole.
I do not see many posts here with "watery poop", and those which have such tag have no "outcome", or "resolution" or "Post-Mortem" with description of what happened to the bird eventually, what helped, etc.
I am suspecting "hardware digestion": she swallowed a staple and the nickel (metal) which may have been sharp and stuck into her bowels is eroding in her digestive system, causing irritation.

Rather than going back to this post and adding more info, you should have just added it to the thread, as I would have answered you differently if I had had all the information. Your bird needs a vet. That staple can cause a bad infection, that you can not do anything about. It needs to come out. Also a staple is zinc, which is toxic to birds.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
You cannot keep adding stuff and then subtracting it to your original post. That is just making this whole thing not make any sense in what we are answering you. You are making it very hard to help you. And we waste time in answering to you, then you change it. We answer again, and you change it again. I'm busy and can't keep going back and forth. Your best bet if you care for your bird is taking him to a vet. I'm done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts