Pigeon-Talk banner

Love the Bird's

Tags
pigeon's
2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Alamo 
With pigeons, especially homer, what you put on it is what you will get. If you are racing, for example, if you take the time to train, condition them, they will respond to it and possibly you can win. To me having pigeons is like an active participation. Pigeons respond well. I didn't have canary as pets, but I did have like parakeets and finches. Those you can't release outside. They are also easier to care because they don't poop much. I trained those birds as well to come to me. But there is difference when you release them inside the house or any aviary to fly compared to pigeons. When you release pigeons in the blue-yonder, you are at the mercy of the outside world. There is trust between you and the pigeons. That is the exciting part. There is apprehension, tension, fear, but once your pigeon comes back from somewhere, you are ultimately relieved and indeed up very happy. You felt special in that the pigeon trusted you and came back. Such experience is endearing. I know of no bird that gives me that feeling. It is like your long lost lovable pet dog just came back to you! Watching pigeon grow from egg to adulthood is like "human life." There is a time when you teach them like human kids. There is also a time when you finally let them go to explore on their own. Then you become happy when they come back. And then you hope that they will have grand kids, too. And all of this can be experienced in less than 2 years.

I really can't explain it to you. Only when you have them, then your experience will show you. Once you get it, you get it for life and you don't feel like parting with them. But if you do, you may end up going back again.

Pigeon is better than canary because it gives you experience that is different than canary. To me once you get a pigeon you move up a little higher in the challenge of taking care of our bird friends.

ps. Some people get it. Some don't. If your wife don't get it, she will never be.

rod

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.