Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I rescued this pigeon about 3 weeks ago, actually he just appeared in our yard, I am thinking he was set free at a wedding or some sort of ceremony.

He always seemed a bit weak but what I have done so far is gave him meds for worms, fleas and vitamins.

Today he showed up with a swollen lump appearing next to his beak.

Any ideas of what this might be? He also has bad breath, I took a sniff to see if it might be yeast, fungal???

Any ideas let me know

Cheers:confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Possible he is getting pox? Bad breath could indicate canker. But not sure what the lump would be. Does he have any others?
Did you set him free? You said he showed up.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Am wondering about infection. Is he loose or caged?
thanks for replying.

He is free to come and go, since he arrived in our yard, he has decided to stick around. We treated him with the basic care, he eats and drinks but today we noticed this bump growing next to his beak on the lower part. I don't think it is low enough for the gland but my husband said he does have a bad smell in his mouth.

I checked his mouth out but no appearance of any growth of any kind inside.

Still baffled on what to do.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
If he is a domestic bird, which he looks to be, then he won't live long outside. Domestic birds don't know how to live on their own, and don't usually last very long in the wild. Being white, he will also stand out to hawks who will grab him. He is still just a baby, and isn't safe out there.

·
Registered
204 Posts
thanks for replying.

He is free to come and go, since he arrived in our yard, he has decided to stick around. We treated him with the basic care, he eats and drinks but today we noticed this bump growing next to his beak on the lower part. I don't think it is low enough for the gland but my husband said he does have a bad smell in his mouth.

I checked his mouth out but no appearance of any growth of any kind inside.

Still baffled on what to do.

Do you see any other symptoms of canker ?
Canker is not always visible in the throat. I think you should give him metro and see if there is any improvement. You should notice changes in 4/5 days when using metro. Use for 10 days if canker is stubborn.If no improvement could be pox.

Pigeon pox goes away by itself and there isn't treatment for it. Supportive care helps and bird shall recover by itself.

I suggest you keep him closed and give him apple sauce with water. He could be caught by predators in his weak state. Keep him with you as Jay said. He won't last outside.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Trouble is you should not give antibiotics if it is pox because it weakens the birds resistance and the pox takes an ever firmer hold which can be fatal. I'd rule out pox before giving antibiotics.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If he is a domestic bird, which he looks to be, then he won't live long outside. Domestic birds don't know how to live on their own, and don't usually last very long in the wild. Being white, he will also stand out to hawks who will grab him. He is still just a baby, and isn't safe out there.
Well our birds are free to come and go as they like, they have a loft that is where they sleep but they pretty much stay in our yard napping, eating, taking baths etc.

I live in Brazil and all we have are birds in Sao Paulo, we have no other types of wild animals running around, sure an eagle can get them but it is a risk I would rather take, I feel so bad about keeping them locked up. Knock on wood, we have had no attacks as of yet.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hi Freda, that is good to know. Can poop tests show if it is Pox?
A proper qualified vet can tell if its pox or canker. He/she can look at the lesions etc and analyze.

If it turns out to be Pox-
give vitamin supplements, specially Vitamin A and probiotics.

You never know when a predator can turn up. Your birds fly in flock which is much safer and than a bird who is sick +alone.

I understand that you don't want to keep him closed up but its for your and the birds benefit. You can let him out once he better but you need to keep him closed for treatment. What if he doesn't turn up one night ?

Plus he is ill and the other birds can get infected. Its too risky in my opinion.

This is not meant to offend you. Me and jay are just explaining why it isn't a good idea.

I hope your bird recovers soon and I wish you the best!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A proper qualified vet can tell if its pox or canker. He/she can look at the lesions etc and analyze.

If it turns out to be Pox-
give vitamin supplements, specially Vitamin A and probiotics.

You never know when a predator can turn up. Your birds fly in flock which is much safer and than a bird who is sick +alone.

I understand that you don't want to keep him closed up but its for your and the birds benefit. You can let him out once he better but you need to keep him closed for treatment. What if he doesn't turn up one night ?

Plus he is ill and the other birds can get infected. Its too risky in my opinion.

This is not meant to offend you. Me and jay are just explaining why it isn't a good idea.

I hope your bird recovers soon and I wish you the best!
He is confined and will be until his treatment is done of course, I was just saying that is how we keep our birds but when they are sick we keep them quiet and taken care of for sure.

In anycase my question still stands, can a stool exam show if it is Pox? How does that work?

The issue here is finding a vet to take care of him bc of the fact he is a pigeon they usually put them down bc they are not national birds. Most centers won't even take them in for an exam, Brazil sucks for treatment of pigeons.

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
Dont take him anywhere please that he might be euthanized. Someone here can advise about tests for pox i hope. If it is an abscess he might need antibiotics. Thank you so very much for taking care of him!
Dont know if any of these places will help pigeons.
http://wildlife.rescueshelter.com/international?br
And here is a list of avian vets.
http://www.aav.org/search/newsearch.aspK
If you take the bird to a vet please insist they fix him, that it is your personal pet, and that you want him to be helped not euthanized. When we adopted our first first pigeon, an injured feral, the local wildlife rescue was just going to kill her so we adopted her, because they dont help pigeons. If your pigeon has pox i think it will resolve on its own. How is his eating, drinking, pooping, energy level? Very cute bird. Can you try putting antibiotic cream on it if it has an odor if it might be an abscess? Not sure if antibiotic cream would make pox worse...it is my understanding that pox lesions need to dry up and fall off but someone more expert should be able to address this. Dont know if pox will show up on a fecal. Here is a brief disease description including canker and pox. http://asaicoloft.com/asaicoloft/PigeonsHealth.htm
http://www.pigeon-aid.org.uk/pa/html/pigeon_pox.php
Here is a photo and link to a discussion here.
http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f27/help-with-pigeon-health-problem-canker-or-pox-21654.html

·
Registered
299 Posts
Just came back from school.I treated my pigeon who had pox and ornithosis. Pox grew out to be warts on both of his ears and he had small pox as well. It was hard to get him back to life but the medicines which I used actually worked. If it was canker it would easily identified from his poop. It would highlighting green and would like paint.If it is pox, you can apply pigeon pox cream on the warts/pox. He seemed to be alright in the pic. Guess it's pox. Give him good food and vitamins to help him regain his immune system.:) i will pray for your bird as well:)
I will give you a pic of the pox cream. You can buy it online.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
rosequartz

Just came back from school.I treated my pigeon who had pox and ornithosis. Pox grew out to be warts on both of his ears and he had small pox as well. It was hard to get him back to life but the medicines which I used actually worked. If it was canker it would easily identified from his poop. It would highlighting green and would like paint.If it is pox, you can apply pigeon pox cream on the warts/pox. He seemed to be alright in the pic. Guess it's pox. Give him good food and vitamins to help him regain his immune system.:) i will pray for your bird as well:)
I will give you a pic of the pox cream. You can buy it online.
Hi Rosequartz, thanks that would be great if you can give me a photo of what the cream looks like...I do have one that is liquid form called "thuya" I guess it is like Iodine my husband told me. So yesterday I put some on it...there is no puss or sore like lesions on it, just a bump...it seems to look more like an abscess to me???

We also gave him 50mg of Metr., and will continue for the next 9 days. His breath is terrible and he has a deep grunting sound he makes when we get close to him, he does not look like any of our other pigeons, I am thinking he is a King Pigeon??...we don't know if it is type of breed or an infection. Physically he is strong and healthy looking, he eats well.

·
Registered
204 Posts
King pigeons tend to be heavy and very big in build. He looks young so you can't tell now. When he grows you will be able to tell. There are 2 types of king pigeon (utility and show). I am guessing your bird could utility or just a domestic pigeon with white colors.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts