Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hav a baby pigeon who was thrown away by other adult pigeons and was bleeding. At that time he was 4 days old. And now he's 25 days. I'm amazed that he is still alive as I dint have any hope. But now there is a prob. 2 days back he has got a lump like stuff below his ear. Its very unusual. And now I have noticed that he is getting the same lump on the other side of the neck below the ear.

Attachments

·
Registered
29,796 Posts
Have you checked way down his throat with a flash light? Anything way down there? I would treat for canker.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well... I dint use a flashlight as he doesn't even let me open his mouth properly to check... but i will probably check it today.. have u seen the picture .?

·
Registered
29,796 Posts
Yes, I have. That's why I would treat him for canker.
Hold him against you, so that you have more control, and open his beak. It isn't all that hard. Or have someone else hold him, while you open his beak. He isn't going to let you. You just do it.

·
Registered
29,796 Posts
I do see what you are looking at, but barely. I've seen lumps in babies throats before, usually a bit lower than that though. But the lack of feathering around the face and throat suggests canker to me. Can you get meds for canker? Metronidazole?

·
Registered
29,796 Posts
NO. Afraid not. I believe it is canker and without treatment it will get worse. Pigeon can die. If no way to have a vet check it, and give you medicine, then maybe can find some online or at a pet store that sells fish. Just make sure it has only Metronidazole in it. Call around.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ohh god... I'm afraid.. however I'll get the medicine. If i get it.. then what should be the required dosage ? For how many days should i give him ? I hope he gets cured asap.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
And yeah.. what food should i give him in such a situation ? Currently i m giving him oats and cerelac consisting of dates and wheat in... its in powder form. I mix it with warm water and make it fluid .. paste type.. n feed him some water too. Can i make him bath if possible. ? Will it harm him in any way ?

·
Registered
29,796 Posts
He shouldn't be getting the cerelac, as it contains milk, and pigeons can not digest dairy products. Can you find a grain cereal that doesn't contain milk? Frozen peas which have been defrosted and warmed, or fresh peas cooked to very soft can be fed. You have to hold the pigeon on your lap, open his beak, and put in a pea. Then push it way to the back of his throat and over the tongue. Close his beak. If you have pushed it far enough back, he will swallow it. If not, he will throw it out. He can eat about 30 or so of these probably 3 times a day. But don't feed again until the crop empties.

The Metronidazole would be 30 mg once a day for 10 days. If it clears in that time, good. If not, you will have to give it longer. Treat him after you feed him.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Can I feed him chick peas? Boiled and mashed ? I went to many vet centres .. they said that they provide it only for adult pigeons .. not for young ones as its too strong..

·
Registered
29,796 Posts
Can I feed him chick peas? Boiled and mashed ? I went to many vet centres .. they said that they provide it only for adult pigeons .. not for young ones as its too strong..
What is too strong? Metronidazole? No it isn't. What do they do then? Let them die?

Can you not get some regular green peas?

·
Registered
959 Posts
You can buy the metronidazole(flagyl), and give half the normal dosage for an adult bird.
The dosage is 50 mg per kg of bird, per day. You need to give for 5-10 days, and longer if the problem persists.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yesterday I took the pigeon for a checkup with the doctor. She said that he is undergoing calcium deficiency. And she prescribed vitamins and mineral supplements . I'm giving him that once in a day now. The lump has started reducing 2darts back. I wanted to know whether can i make him bath with warm water. ? Can I also show him sunlight for vitamin D ?

·
Registered
29,796 Posts
If needed, the dosage of Metro would be 30 mg daily for a youngster. For an adult 50 mg daily.

As far as bathing, offer him a warm bath, and he may bathe. The sun helps him to make vitamin D3, which he needs to be able to utilize the calcium he gets. Without it, he would become calcium deficient, unless the vitamin D3 is added in his vitamins. Is it in the vitamins you give? He needs the direct rays of the sun though. They don't pass through a window or window screen, they are mostly filtered out.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Okk.. so once in a week or twice i can make him bath .. right ? Well ... the vitamins in it has D3 or not i m not quite sure. When i keep him outside in sunlight he moves away from the rays and finds shade and sit their . So i have to hold him up and put him under sunlight. I will try my best to get him sunlight however.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts