Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We keep racing pigeons and have approx 100, one developed fleshy lumps to his legs around six months ago and my partner thought it was dietary, they were receiving peanuts on a regular basis, we stopped this with no improvement and he has also now developed pink raised areas on his face, he appears in good health, the lumps do not seem to bother him and do not appear tender when gently palpated. He has bred young this year and up to now neither of them appear to have developed these lumps. None of the other birds appear affected either. Do you have any suggestions, my partner has kept pigeons for approx 40 years and has not seen this before.

·
Registered
463 Posts
According to Colin Walker, DVM this sounds like a possible tumor. I have a fellow flier in my Combine who has an older cock who has had a tumor hanging down from his chest for some time. It does not bother him nor has it slowed his breeding. You could have it removed (if this is actually what it is) or simply left alone so long as its not hurting the bird. Especially if he is of value.

·
Guardian Angel
6,859 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
I hadn't thought of taking pictures but will take some tomorrow and post them, thank you for your interest and possible suggestions. The bumps on his legs are still present but don't appear to be growing and are still flesh coloured and subtle with normal feather growth to the areas, they don't appear to be hardening and no traces of blood, darkening of the skin. The one on the face my partner feels may be different and likens it to corn like nodules on a human, with no fleshy tissue underneath of it/them.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
I hadn't thought of taking pictures but will take some tomorrow and post them, thank you for your interest and possible suggestions. The bumps on his legs are still present but don't appear to be growing and are still flesh coloured and subtle with normal feather growth to the areas, they don't appear to be hardening and no traces of blood, darkening of the skin. * The one on the face my partner feels may be different and likens it to corn like nodules on a human, with no fleshy tissue underneath of it/them.
You really should have a diagnosis done by an avian vet, to get treatment started.

Please do post pictures asap, and also of the bird with the lesions on the face. It could be pox or other, and possible canker, and that would need immediate treatment with Spartrix and/or Metrodonizole.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Pic's of Lumpy's lumps as promised, hope that's right I got some help with this as I'm a bit of a novice, will be building an album of pics of the lofts and birds for anyone who may be interested,
http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/album.php?albumid=681
Tried e-mailing the avian vet, Feralpigeon, unfortunately couldn't really help, said that wasn't how he worked sort of thing, but have thru these pages seen an avian vet bout 30ish miles away, so as long as Lumpy seems healthy and unconcernd with lumps I would like to wait until his last baby is old enough to go into the young bird end of the cree, before taking him to a vet.
Has anyone seen anything like these lumps on pigeon or other bird before???

·
Registered
13,048 Posts
I think your bird has a mite infestation with mites that have burrowed underneath the skin. If he has them to others do as well. You can treat all your birds with ivermectin. They should be treated individually. You can order it from any of the pigeon supply or confirm it with the vet you were going to take the bird to. You will need to retreat the birds in 10-14 days.
If that's what it is, you will need to clean and spray the entire loft with Seven which can be purchased in most home and garden stores, You will need to repeat the loft treatment every three weeks for a while, to break the cycle.
As for the lump on the leg, it was a bit too
magnified
for me to offer an opinion on that.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thanks Charis, I'm 2nd in command when it comes to the pigeons but I'll let my partner know your suggestions and take it from there and hopefully it will sort Lumpy out. I'll try to get some better pic's as well, sorry!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.