Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have baby pigeons on my balcony (http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f23/babies-yay-39465.html). They are now 5 weeks old. One of them is a little behind on growth in terms of flying, eating for itself and still has a number of yellow tufts of feathers. Under his wings the feathers still have not fully grown. I'm a little worried about this little guy. His crop or breast feels all lumpy inside. I'm not sure whether this is normal or not, but his sister does not have the same problem. I'm happy to let nature take it's course. He is probably ok, but I was just wondering. Does anyone have any ideas. Is there anything wrong with this guy?

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Could be the difference has to do with what the baby has eaten or you could be feeling canker in his crop. If so, canker is easily treated but can be deadly to young birds if left untreated. Canker is a single cell parasite that most Pigeons carry in their system. Perhaps plamenh can direct you to a medication available in SA that you can use to treat them both.
Humans mess with nature every single minute of every single day. In this instance it seems best to intervene.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. One for each baby? Parents too?

I have a bigger problem at the moment though which I have to sort out first. We had the mother of all storms last night in Cape Town and poor Lucy (the healthy one) has blown off the balcony. She is on the first floor balcony which unfortunately I can't get to as the neighbour is out. Also Mom's nest with the next set of babies is sodden and won't drain as it is in a bucket. She's really wet but sticking to her guns on the eggs.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I saw on the news weather report last night, looks that you gonna heve this for the bigger part of the comming week. Can't you fix some boards to shelter them?
Keep me posted if you need any help.
(you can drill some holes in the bucket for water to drain out)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes indeed. Lucky the weather has been good and it's lasted.
Unfortunately I haven't succeeded with the Spartrix yet. When I went to collect it from the vet it turned out they couldn't get hold of it so I'll try another.

Good news is that Joey is able to fly now, even if just onto the balcony rail. I've checked him for little growths mentioned as Canker. He doesn't seem to have any. It turns out that lumpy crop was actually his neck folded back on itself. I examined the little guy in full detail today. There doesn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary on him, no little growths or anything. He just seems to be growing slowly. Basically he hasn't grown at all in a week. His feathers are sparse and he still doesn't have a full supply under his wings. He still chases Dad around like mad for food. So much so that if Dad is not on the nest he has to leave completely.

I noticed little red mites on both his and his sister's wings. Tiny things which I don't think bother them much.

Any further ideas?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Could this be hereditary? With the last batch that were laid elsewhere only one of the babies ever came to visit. Perhaps the other one was also a little delayed in growth.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good idea. I tried that yesterday. The little bugger wasn't too keen. What should I be feeding him. I soaked some frozen veg in hot water. He ate the corn and the peas. He didn't like the beans or carrots at all. It took forever and in the end I only got a few pieces in. They would usually get to his mouth and he would fling them across the room. Any suggestions?

Would seeds be ok or are they too dry?

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
What happened to Lucy, BTW ?

Pop the veggies into the BACK of his mouth, not the middle or front. With a toothpick, try placing them just at the entrance of his throat. He should swallow immediately. If he doesn't, then pluck it out within a few seconds so as not to block his windpipe. even 6 or 7 pieces a day would be very helpful. if you could manage 10-15 that would be awesome....but don't push it if the kid is getting frantic or distressed.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Peas and corns a re fine, carrots may be better if you chop them in smaller pieces. They can easy swallow round seed, but carrots are square.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The kid is always frantic and distressed. He seems ok though. Today he flew up to the next balcony. In terms of flying he is only 4 days behind his sister. She made it back on Monday afternoon and seem to be a pro-flier now. I think this is more through sheer determination as his wings are still very scruffy looking which can't be good for flying.

If he seems really starving again I'll try feed him, but I think with Dad flat out refusing now, he's got the message and seems to eat on his own.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
If you put ACV in their water once a week and give them probiotic again weekly, they should be fine and healthy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts