Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3 months have passed my pouter are only exchanging the beak but unable to climb on the back of female for successful breeding size of cage is also big I m giving them healthy food they have not laid any egg because the male is having problem climbing on the back of female. So not successful breeding. Plz help me how can I solve this problem

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Hi Syed. Enjoy PT

Are both birds magpie pouters or of different breeds? Are you sure they're of opposite gender?
Does the male have flight feathers?( that helps a male to balance over the back of the female when mounting her)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Syed. Enjoy PT

Are both birds magpie pouters or of different breeds? Are you sure they're of opposite gender?
Does the male have flight feathers?( that helps a male to balance over the back of the female when mounting her)
Female belongs to reverse wing pouter breed and male belongs to Pomeranian breed. I m not sure about gender but reverse wing pouter looks like female because she does nt coo but little when fighting with another female. And Pomeranian pouter is confirmed male because he coos and dance around female. Also from his appearance he is male. Male have full flight feathers. They have made their pair and have also exchange beak but unable to climb on the back of female. Its also strange that this male have never used his flight feathers to climb over the back of female. He only uses his legs that are not reaching to the back of female

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Female belongs to reverse wing pouter breed and male belongs to Pomeranian breed. I m not sure about gender but reverse wing pouter looks like female because she does nt coo but little when fighting with another female. And Pomeranian pouter is confirmed male because he coos and dance around female. Also from his appearance he is male. Male have full flight feathers. They have made their pair and have also exchange beak but unable to climb on the back of female. Its also strange that this male have never used his flight feathers to climb over the back of female. He only uses his legs that are not reaching to the back of female
Behaviour is not a guarantee of gender. This maybe the reason the male is reluctant to mate.

Put that apart.
Before letting pouters with muffs breed, it is wise to clip their muffs and extra long toenails .Also the soft fluff feathers of the vent may be clipped away for better contact. If you don't do this then the muffs will also be discomforting when they raise squabs. Being large in size they don't need nesting bowls or large tub like nesting bowls would be needed for them to breed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

These are the pictures of pouter if u can recognize the gender by image.

I contacted zaheer minhaas fancy pigeon breeder he also told me that it is possible that bo the could be male that is why they are not breeding succesfuly. Now I m waiting for your opinion about their gender

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Hi Sayed,
Thank you so much for sharing the pics with us. Wow,The birds are so beautiful! They look sooooo great!

Yes it looks like a hen to me. She maybe young. (Or a young cock).

Please give them a balanced diet and grit with calcium+vitaminD3 and water soluble vitamins and mineral supplements once twice a week. Deficiency of vitamins could be responsible that your male is not interested in mounting the female.

Pakistan ke bahut log ye shikayat karte hain ki unke parinde ande nahi dete. If you take care of them well insha Allah wo ande zarur dende aur bache bhi palenge.

If your pair is new to your place then it will take sometime to settle down first. When they start mating you can give them two medicines which will help the hen with laying.
1) Alfa Alfa-30
2) Five Phos-30
When they start mating add 10 drops of both medicines together in their drinking water. DON'T place the water in direct sunlight. Things will go smooth.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Sayed,
Thank you so much for sharing the pics with us. Wow,The birds are so beautiful! They look sooooo great!

Yes it looks like a hen to me. She maybe young. (Or a young cock).

Please give them a balanced diet and grit with calcium+vitaminD3 and water soluble vitamins and mineral supplements once twice a week. Deficiency of vitamins could be responsible that your male is not interested in mounting the female.

Pakistan ke bahut log ye shikayat karte hain ki unke parinde ande nahi dete. If you take care of them well insha Allah wo ande zarur dende aur bache bhi palenge.

If your pair is new to your place then it will take sometime to settle down first. When they start mating you can give them two medicines which will help the hen with laying.
1) Alfa Alfa-30
2) Five Phos-30
When they start mating add 10 drops of both medicines together in their drinking water. DON'T place the water in direct sunlight. Things will go smooth.
Thanks brother. Yes I am giving them multivitamin and mineral syrup vidylin - M and also cac 1000 calcium and cod liver oil. Actually that blue male was really not interested in breeding. But when I give him evion vitamin e 200 mg tablet he showed some interest and exchanged the beaks but now problem is successful breeding I think his flight limb are weak because his flying is very poor. InshaAllah I will also try the medicine you have mentioned here thank u very much for the help.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I only see one nest box, at least I think that is what it is,with another bird in it... how many boxes and perches do you have? how many birds are in with the pair? so many things can factor in them feeling comfortable to mate and raise young. it sounds like you take good care of them, but their enviroment may be a factor, or lack of things in it.

for stone/cement floor I would use a drying agent like all clay cat litter or oil dry if they have it there..something to dry up the feces on wet stone.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I only see one nest box, at least I think that is what it is,with another bird in it... how many boxes and perches do you have? how many birds are in with the pair? so many things can factor in them feeling comfortable to mate and raise young. it sounds like you take good care of them, but their enviroment may be a factor, or lack of things in it.

for stone/cement floor I would use a drying agent like all clay cat litter or oil dry if they have it there..something to dry up the feces on wet stone.
Bro this is not nest box I use this box for feeding purpose. I have kept their nest box on upper shift where they sleep and do other activities. I have only one pair of high flying while other two are males without females. I clean this cage daily and spray some ACV. I also take care for their bath. Sunlight comes directly. This male was so lazy also. He eat and drink well. When I give him evion tablet I saw some improvement. If there is any wrong then plz guide me

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Bro this is not nest box I use this box for feeding purpose. I have kept their nest box on upper shift where they sleep and do other activities. I have only one pair of high flying while other two are males without females. I clean this cage daily and spray some ACV. I also take care for their bath. Sunlight comes directly. This male was so lazy also. He eat and drink well. When I give him evion tablet I saw some improvement. If there is any wrong then plz guide me
ok, there may be a hint in your information for a guess of what the male may be going through. if there are two other male birds in there there will be scuffles and territory to be won plus just trying to protect the hen. having single birds in a breeding area usually always causes problems. you may want to expand and open up your feeding station, birds may try to defend it and want to nest in it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ok, there may be a hint in your information for a guess of what the male may be going through. if there are two other male birds in there there will be scuffles and territory to be won plus just trying to protect the hen. having single birds in a breeding area usually always causes problems. you may want to expand and open up your feeding station, birds may try to defend it and want to nest in it.
No bro this type of situation is not in my cage. They don't fight also the other male don't like that reverse wing female. And also I have kept seperate nest box for them in each shift.
I think that it is possible that reverse wing pouter is young male that why other male don't like her or him. But misunderstanding is that he is not cooing or dancing like male. That's why I thought that it could be a female.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
No bro this type of situation is not in my cage. They don't fight also the other male don't like that reverse wing female. And also I have kept seperate nest box for them in each shift.
I think that it is possible that reverse wing pouter is young male that why other male don't like her or him. But misunderstanding is that he is not cooing or dancing like male. That's why I thought that it could be a female.
Same sex pair aren't that uncommon in domestic pigeons. Usually when it happens it happens that way. An older cock will coo,strut and dance and other young cock would assume the roles of a hen and act like a hen. And then they pair up.
If you wanna check,you can separate the pair and give a "ready" hen to the bird whose gender is in question. Or keep him/her with the other two males.

If s/he is a male he will pair up with or atleast coo on the hen. If s/he is she ,she will pair up with a male. But then you again have to break pair.

A DNA test will reveal his/her gender for sure,if you can get it done.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Same sex pair aren't that uncommon in domestic pigeons. Usually when it happens it happens that way. An older cock will coo,strut and dance and other young cock would assume the roles of a hen and act like a hen. And then they pair up.
If you wanna check,you can separate the pair and give a "ready" hen to the bird whose gender is in question. Or keep him/her with the other two males.

If s/he is a male he will pair up with or atleast coo on the hen. If s/he is she ,she will pair up with a male. But then you again have to break pair.

A DNA test will reveal his/her gender for sure,if you can get it done.
Thank u bro. I have already tried that. The blue pouter is confirm male because he dance and coos around all female with which I kept him. While that yellow reverse wing pouter fight with all females and does not coos around them. And when other male coos she response them by dancing like opening her tail. Bro u said that both could be male that is why the other blue male is shy to breed. But I have seen other same sex pair breeding fully.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I see ....that does happen, I have been sold allot of hens that were cock birds.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If this climbing problem is due to vitamin deficiency then I am giving every vitamin supplements to that male. 3 months have now passed and he is still unable to climb over the back of female or (male). Today I saw they were exchanging the beak and reverse wing female (male) allows him to climb over the back. And he was trying so much. But failed. You have mentioned 3 reasons of that
1 the male may be young ( he is now 9 months old)
2 due to vitamin deficiency
3 reverse wing is not female( but from his appearance and behaviour she does nt look male)

Is there any other reason e.g infection or disease except these reasons. If so plz mention here. I m so worried for my male.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.