Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am caring for a rescued magpie who I am hoping to release in the Spring. He is doing very well, but I have noticed that he has a habit of nibbling at his toes from time to time! He has a habit of nibbling at the point where the toe nail meets the toe, and he nibbles at all of the toes, not just a particular toe.

I have tried trimming them back a little (his toe nails that is!!) but they are normal length and I have checked his toes for any sores or obvious irritations.

He is out in a large aviary in my garden with a disabled magpie and a couple of non releasable jackdaws and so I don't think he is bored or anything like that, and I have put a load of toys and things for their amusement just in case.

I am stumped as to what it could be! I have consulted couple of my wildlife re-habber friends and also my vet, but no one can find a reason!

Any idea's from the experts here on Pigeon Biz?

Thanks!
Donna

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
He could have mites irritating his skin. Try putting oil on his feet every day and see if it improves.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Some corvids develop a habit of biting at their feet in captivity, especialy if they are anoyed at something. They will also "preen" the scales on their feet and legs, especialy when moulting (although yours shouldn't be moulting now) definetly still worth treating him for mites as well though, just incase.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts