Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello pigeon and dove people!

I have a chinese spotted dove male. His name is Naps.

Naps has been raised by my wife and I since he was around 3-4 days old. We found him in a rosemary hedge after a storm. He has since bonded and fixated on me with wing-flipping things, building nests in my hair, brawling with my feet, etc. He is quite a handful!

He has free reign over our bedroom whenever one of us is home and only lives in his cage when it is sleepy time. His cage is the highest point and I have tried to make it a comfy place for him to be on. It is near a window he can look out of (with no draft). It has a blanket on top so his feet don't get sore. And yet the only place he wants to be is on top of my computer monitor ALL THE TIME.

I have taped some papers going down the back side to catch poops, because poops are kind of his hobby and specialty. I'm fine with the poops on the monitor, I figure he likes to chill out and since I am always looking in that direction he feels he gets attention.

The problem happens when he laterally walks off the monitor and onto my computer case. It has little holes in it on top for airflow. His dumb little nails can get stuck in there and then he panics. He can also poop on it, which is my main complaint about this behavior.

I have been chasing him away with a rolled up poster so that he doesn;t associate my hands with "OH GOD HES TRYING TO KILL ME". It works, for about 20 seconds, and then Naps is back doing the shimmy to get back onto the computer case.

I have put some dvd cases in a tent shape up there to try and at least get him to not land directly on the case but he still finds a way to shove himself into the last remaining uncovered area and turn into a puddle of feathers and hoots.

I know pigeons are relatively smart but this has been happening for like 8-9 months and he hasn't really picked up on the whole "Well, this is not the place I am allowed to be" thing yet.

He isn't very food motivated. And he is an incredibly headstrong and stubborn bird. The room is kept at a warm temperature so I doubt he is going on the case for warmth, I think it's just a comfy place that he has fixated on.

What do? Ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
Can't you put the case under the table or desk? Or on the floor beside it? Or on a lower table beside the desk/table?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I could, I would, but things are set up strangely here. The bed is basically at floor height and the "desk" is actually a low lying dresser. Has to be done this way, no room otherwise. :(

If I could make it inaccessible for him I would have done it a while ago so he wouldnt even think about it haha, but he is such an explorer that he even ends up UNDER the dressers.

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
If you can't move anything, and he has the run of the room, then don't really know what you are asking. You are not going to control where he goes. Build a shelf or something over the computer case. Or make a box to put it in with open front, but top is covered.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts