Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rescued a single female a few months ago, and I just adopted a single male recently in the hopes that they would at least get on, perhaps pair up, and offer eachother some company, as my female was very lonely.

I keep them separate overnight, but I let them out together and when she gets too close he coos and tries to peck her, or just walks in her direction and she flies away. Or when he was by the bathing dish and she came to join him, he chased her round it and again tried to peck her. He doesn't really chase her round the room, she tends to follow him, and he always chases her away. She tries to land near him and gets scared and flies away. He even tries to chase her from any food, like when she went into her cage at bedtime and was eating some food, he kept trying to make her move from the food through the bars as he could not get in.

It makes me sad because she always tries to get close in a seemingly friendly way (she very lightly bit the very edge of his tail feathers, it didn't seem aggressive at all) and I just want her to be happy and have a friend.

Is there any way to stop him acting like this, or will this behaviour settle down at all? He's such a lovely boy and is lovely with me and my partner. It doesn't seem like mating behaviour, though he seemed to show mating behaviour when looking at himself in the mirror.

·
Registered
6,681 Posts
Are you sure the one you rescued is a female? If so, keep them seperated from each other for a longer period, although they should still be able to see each other.

It's normal for the male to chase the female, it's called "driving". Have you provided them with a nest? Also, remove the mirror. He might consider the female as an intrusion to his mirror image.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The one we rescued is definitely a female, we had a DNA test done. There is a nest yes, and we covered the mirror pretty much immediately after he did that and he did calm slightly. I'm glad the behaviour is normal. Will it eventually stop or lead to them pairing?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.