Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty new to this, maybe you have seen this before but it shocked me. The other day I saw my Helmet hen had egg yolk all over her breast, there was a broken egg in the nest. A day or two later I found another broken egg on the floor of the loft. I put a wooden egg in their nest and watched as the male pecked at it for about 3 or four minutes.
Is this very unusual behavior, neurosis, psychosis, or are Helmets terrible parents. The hen does seem to be taking interest in the wooden egg, but what happens when the cock is to take his turn on the eggs, well I guess I'll know the answer to that in a few hours.
I'd like to breed them but is it a good idea if the male has no parenting instinct. I don't have enough birds or enough room to foster the eggs out. Any idea what is going on. The hen looks very young but there is no band so I don't really know. The cock has a 2010 band.
John

·
Registered
691 Posts
I have had many times broken eggs in the nest but some times they are too young or other times they get a little wild and break the eggs but im just talking about my homers.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Inexperience could be the issue here, which should get back to normal later. Just check whether the shells are too soft/thin when laid, which indicates calcium deficiency.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
broken eggs happen... but not from the bird doing it on purpose usually...so yes this is a problem..I would be leary breeding this bird.. does he sit on the eggs to relieve the hen?..if he is a good sitter then there may be hope.. what I would do is use a foster pair for their eggs if you want to breed from this pair.. but with a trait of egg destruction, hope it is not a genetic trait...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts