Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone ,i have 3 birds in a small loft 6ft high by 3ft wide,one limerick tumbler(male i think) and 2 homers which are brother n sister,they are all about 9 monhts old,lately ive noticed how much bigger the male homer has got and how much he bullys the hen..he stands in the nest box cooing and chasing the other two away all day,sometimes wont let them eat and blocks entrance to loft not letting them fly in..he also aggresively pecks at the hen.they have mated and i was hoping for some results however the hen is not allowed near the nestbox..any ideas what im doin wrong,i know i should not have an even number birds,should i get another tumbler and even oot numbers ..or is the male homer always goin to be a bully and should i remove him...help:(

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
if your going to breed in that area, it is best to have just pairs... sometimes if you take a bully cock bird out for a few weeks he calms down.... never heard of a bully being so bad he won't even let his hen in the nest box..so that is a problem.. perhaps you may want to find another mate for her if he does not start acting more normal.. he sounds a bit excessive..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
strange enough i went out to feed dis evening and the tumbler was sitting in the homers nest quite happy,and either bierds didnt seem to mind,both homers were standing on perches.maybe the tumbler has claimed that nest and thats why the homer is being bullying to the hen to get another nest??i have 2 separate nestboxes one on ground area the other just above which is the one the tumbler is in..could the tumbler be a hen if sitting in nest bowl?confused.com

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
strange enough i went out to feed dis evening and the tumbler was sitting in the homers nest quite happy,and either bierds didnt seem to mind,both homers were standing on perches.maybe the tumbler has claimed that nest and thats why the homer is being bullying to the hen to get another nest??i have 2 separate nestboxes one on ground area the other just above which is the one the tumbler is in..could the tumbler be a hen if sitting in nest bowl?confused.com
I would say the tumbler sounds like a hen from what you said.. she may be laying an egg soon..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wel its all got interesting now it appears the tumbler is a hen,she has laid her first egg and is in the nest bowl sitting on it..now more confused,who did she mate with if the 2 racers are paired up???could the cock racer mate with both?? she be able to raise young on her own,wots goin on

·
Registered
29,796 Posts
Why not get the tumbler a mate. Having unmated birds in with mated pairs is not a good idea. Only causes problems. How big is the area they are kept in?

·
Registered
810 Posts
I don't think the homers are mated...sound to me like both homers are males and they were fighting over the hen...

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
hi everyone ,i have 3 birds in a small loft 6ft high by 3ft wide,one limerick tumbler(male i think) and 2 homers which are brother n sister,they are all about 9 monhts old,lately ive noticed how much bigger the male homer has got and how much he bullys the hen..he stands in the nest box cooing and chasing the other two away all day,sometimes wont let them eat and blocks entrance to loft not letting them fly in..he also aggresively pecks at the hen.they have mated and i was hoping for some results however the hen is not allowed near the nestbox..any ideas what im doin wrong,i know i should not have an even number birds,should i get another tumbler and even oot numbers ..or is the male homer always goin to be a bully and should i remove him...help:(
Hi PIGEONMAD,The first thing I would to know is deep is this loft? 6FT HIGH BY 3FT WIDE what is the lenth we realy to know how long this loft is also how many nest boxes do you have in this loft . What many people call bulling is nothing more then claiming his territory. If he is in fact mated to the hen then he driving the hen to his nestbox these are normal actions and not bulling.Once she stays in the nestbox the cock will bring building material to the nest box and give it it the hen as she builds the nest to suit her fancy, just like all females.Get another hen and be sure to have 4 nestbox . GEORGE;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts