Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

I have adopted a little feral pigeon. He's now almost two months old (estimated hatchdate March 31). His voice still hasn't changed, but he has most of his feathers (more on that in another post). He's very friendly - curious and lives free in my room. We've started going outside the past two weeks or so - he had a pretty bad respiratory issue before, and it's been chilly here in SoCal.

So, my issue is that he seems fine with other male humans (steps up, flies to them), but he is terrified of women and will peck and wing slap if approached by one. My question here is, is there any way you all know of working him on this? I would very much like him to be a more social / less anxious bird so he could more easily interact with groups of people. At the moment he has to be a solo bird, so I am eager to have him interact with humans as much as possible.

I know with parrots this is often a stubborn preference that doesn't change, but I am hoping pigeons are more flexible.

Thanks, all!

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Don't think your bird can even differentiate between male and female people. It is probably in the persons approach.

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
Our beloved Phoebe could only love one of us at a time, male or feale. She would then bite the other one. Occasionally, she would switch off and treat the other person as a mate. I think the pigeon brain is hard wired to love one "mate"at a time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts