Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I brought two white pigeons 9 months ago, from the first day they become pair and their fighting started since 5 months, before that everything was fine, many times I had to seperate them and keep them in seperate cages so that male won't hurt female badly, female pigeon does not fight back and defend herself, last time when the female layed eggs the male stopped fighting and started loving her and eggs, they started incubating but the eggs didn't hatch, this month when they layed eggs, it hatched yesterday and another egg hatched today but now again male has started to fight and peck female hardly and it does not allow the female pigeon to come near babies now, male is only taking care of babies and female is not going near as she is scared that he will peck hard again, please help what should I do as they always fight?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Hi, very unusually this to happen. You don't want to separate them because when you put them back together things could get worse. I would keep them together as long as they are rearing babies. As long as the male is not doing serious harm to her. Both parents are needed to rear the babies. They should eventually get along again.

Any other questions I would be happy to help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi everyone,
I brought two white pigeons 9 months ago, from the first day they become pair and their fighting started since 5 months, before that everything was fine, many times I had to seperate them and keep them in seperate cages so that male won't hurt female badly, female pigeon does not fight back and defend herself, last time when the female layed eggs the male stopped fighting and started loving her and eggs, they started incubating but the eggs didn't hatch, this month when they layed eggs, it hatched yesterday and another egg hatched today but now again male has started to fight and peck female hardly and it does not allow the female pigeon to come near babies now, male is only taking care of babies and female is not going near as she is scared that he will peck hard again, please help what should I do as they always fight?
dear it happens sometimes with no clear reason for me!!!
What I do every time this happens is to separate them and the best way is to take the cock out of the cage and the hen will feed the babies perfectly
the reason why I separate them because when they fight they might kill the babies.

·
Registered
We raise and breed quality Modern and Classic Modenas.
77 Posts
We had another breeder give me a tip to put a screen divider across half of their breeder box and split the up during the day. Hen with the baby over night, and cock during the day, and rotate them back and forth for a couple weeks. We did that and after a few weeks the hen and cock raised the baby without the divider. Ours was the hen being agressive to protect the nest... we will find out in a few weeks if the training session stuck with them. It will require food and water on both sides of the divider and it's a bit more work, but at least the hen didn't have to raise the babies alone. Good luck.

·
Registered
77 Posts
So for follow up to my last, the first training session didn't stick. We had to use the divider again with that pair and once baby is big enough will remove again. It will likely just take some time.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Ok.
What I'm thinking is that the behavioral pattern we are all reading,is the cock chasing the hen to lay eggs.
Even after babies have hatched the hen will lay two more eggs when the babies are approximately 2-3 weeks old.
In which case the babies will want the nest where the hen is now sitting on eggs or getting ready to lay.
Farther gets upset and wants her to sit on the eggs but the babies are in the nest and in the way.
All your suggestions were perfect but the simple solution is to have a double sized breeding box,keep in mind there has to be room for four pigeons in both sides of the single boxes that are connected as one box.
Two nest bowls.That way babies stay in their box and nest bowl , while parents have enough room to start their new arrivals.
This will stop your male being torn between protecting the babies and telling the female to sit on the eggs.she won't kick the babies out .The male will do that when his stopped feeding them.
There does not need to be a seperator in the box to stop the babies going to the other nest it just needs to be big enough to fit eight birds standing next to each other and two nest bowls in opposite corners.
(This is the way it's always been done.)
One box ,one nest is not enough room .
Good luck.
Happy to help.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yeah, but ours we watched the cock go to sit on the babies and mom attacked him. Different scenario than you explained above. Our babies when we had that issue were only 2-4 days old. We have no issues with month old babies and eggs. Our hen becomes devil hen after a couple days of new babies and thinks she needs to protect her nest from everything including her mate.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Yeah, but ours we watched the cock go to sit on the babies and mom attacked him. Different scenario than you explained above. Our babies when we had that issue were only 2-4 days old. We have no issues with month old babies and eggs. Our hen becomes devil hen after a couple days of new babies and thinks she needs to protect her nest from everything including her mate.
Then the issue is genetic,a character trait from the birds gene pool.
Other issues can be farther trying to mate with babies ,or babies not being fed properly.
These are characteristics of birds with bad behaviourism.Its genetic you won't be able to stop her from behaving in such a way.
Its in her DNA.she is not a happy bird.
As suggested previously you will have to seperate and rotate the birds during feeding times.That being said ,the babies will adopt the same behaviour as the parents.

As a long time breeder ,
Personally I wouldn't breed from a pigeon that is not a diligent parent,shows erratic behaviour
Or shows ill behavioural patterns.
Just my opinion.

All the best with your birds.good luck.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yeah, that's where we are with her too. The cock she was with is very gentle and is an awesome sitter and dad. He sits quiet when we grab eggs and babies from under him without any swatting or biting.

That hen acts like she courts my wife so it's her buddy, as she's into the pigeons to have her pets. She'll likely be a pet and hang with the hens and young birds from now on. She gave us a couple good babies last year so kind of sucks she started the attitude this year. She was hand raised by the person we got her from so I'm not sure if that is part of it or not. Thanks for the advice.

I want to clarify the question of what breed we have. The Modenas are really neat and awesome show birds. They all have personality and some can be pretty dumb...😁 The breed is not the problem because we have some awesome parents and some that will also foster babies if needed, just a couple problem hens that started acting up this year. We are only 3 years or so into our birds and still trying to sort out personalities and who should be paired with who, so we take in as much guidance as we can. Thanks for all the thoughts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts