Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all -- this is my first post, and I'd appreciate any insights.

There's a male and female pigeon (they are mates), who visit my patio several times a day. I feed them and leave out water for them to drink and bathe in. When other pigeons approach my patio, they will chase them away.

The male pigeon is a LOT more comfortable with me. Just today he started flying onto my shoulder, knee, and outstretched arm. He was also waiting for me at my front door when I came home from class today.

Question: sometimes he looks like he's getting defensive when I feed him. Normally I leave the seed on the ground, but today I tried to hand feed the pigeons. Both of them happily pecked at my palm and ate the food. However, once there was no food left, the male pigeon puffed up his chest and ruffled his feathers. He also began to coo a little bit.

Does anybody know what that behavior means, or why the male pigeon is doing that? Both pigeons are very comfortable with me (the female is a little skittish if I move quickly), and they like to follow me around. Why would the male pigeon act like I'm a rival or predator?

Thanks for any insights!!

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
Pigeons do consider humans as predators. He's also defending his territory, trying to chase you away as he is doing with other pigeons. Even tame pigeons that was handraised from a young age will sometimes become aggressive and will defend their space by pecking at your hands and feet.

You are very fortunate to have them around. Pigeons love raw, chopped up peanuts. You can offer that as a treat. Why don't you build them a nestbox close by?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pigeons do consider humans as predators. He's also defending his territory, trying to chase you away as he is doing with other pigeons. Even tame pigeons that was handraised from a young age will sometimes become aggressive and will defend their space by pecking at your hands and feet.

You are very fortunate to have them around. Pigeons love raw, chopped up peanuts. You can offer that as a treat. Why don't you build them a nestbox close by?
Thank you for this information! It has definitely lent insight to how I treat my pigeon friends. The male seems fonder of me and will sometimes fly onto my hand, even if there is no food. He'll bob his head around as I "ferry" him around my patio.

I'll definitely look into the chopped peanuts and nest box!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts