Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
what do u guys do in the winter to combat the freezing temps. and the drinking waters? at this point i only have 12 birds in a un heated loft.
I use those heavy flexible rubber dishes (for livestock) that hold 1 gallon. And change them twice a day. They don't freeze as fast in the rubber and their flexible enough that the ice doesn't stick to the sides and pops right out.
I have to fill gallon jugs and leave them in my breezeway. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
134 Posts
i use milk jugs with hole cut in the side of it and fill it half full and when it freezes i fill it the rest of the way up and then take it in the house to warm up and start over with a 2nd milk jug and keep changing them out as needed

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
i use milk jugs with hole cut in the side of it and fill it half full and when it freezes i fill it the rest of the way up and then take it in the house to warm up and start over with a 2nd milk jug and keep changing them out as needed
I tried that, but for some reason my birds don't like to stick their heads in the hole and wouldn't drink from it :confused:
But that is much easier, and I think I'll try it again :)

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I use a four inch PVC pipe and put christmas lights under and behind it. The lights give off enough heat to keep the water from freezing. Besides, it fills the birds with that Christmas spirit.

Tony

·
Registered
628 Posts
Farm and Fleet sells a bird bath heater that is a real thin aluminum pad with coils inside that heat up. I put these under the bullet type waterers and have had it get to -20 and still not freeze. Very effective for only around 12.00 each. As they are aluminum I only use for one season as they can be bent very easily breaking the coil inside and causing a short. DO NOT BEND THEM THEY WILL CAUSE A FIRE.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I am fortunate in the fact that I live in the central valley in California. This morning is about as cold as it gets, as a winter storm came through late yesterday afternoon. It cleared up and it is 29 degrees this morning, but that is a rare low for here. Normally, it is about 36-38 degrees in the morning.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I use coffee cup heater or warmer. You can get these at walmart, target, or walgreens and maybe other places but htese are where I have seen. They are located at the coffee machine section at walmart and target. At walgreens you will have to look for it in their small appliance area that they have in the stores. Then I use a flant clay pot from the arts and craft store. Drill a hole on the pot using a hole saw for keyholes. I set the coffe warmer pad under neath the pot and place my bullet style waterer on top of the pot which keeps heat in. I spent about 13.00 total. I have been using this for years and have work great. You might get some frozen water in the bullet style sometimes depending on how cold it may get but will always have water at the bottom which is heated.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I just bought a metal covered watering dish for chickens and a heater pad that goes under it at a feed store with the black fri sales i picked it up for half price

·
Registered
46 Posts
Farm and Fleet sells a bird bath heater that is a real thin aluminum pad with coils inside that heat up. I put these under the bullet type waterers and have had it get to -20 and still not freeze. Very effective for only around 12.00 each. As they are aluminum I only use for one season as they can be bent very easily breaking the coil inside and causing a short. DO NOT BEND THEM THEY WILL CAUSE A FIRE.
i need some ken.btw congrats on becomeing chairman of the combine auc race..i know itl be run good...just wondering about d chili n hot dogs!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!!lol

·
Registered
44 Posts
I bought candle warmers at WalMart for about $10 ea.. Made a wood frame that surrounds them and keeps the plastic waterer about an 1/8" above the warmer. It works great!

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
that is what I do. I have spares to change them out in the am and defreeze the ones left overnight... or one could just bring them in at night if they wanted and return them in the am...

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I tried that, but for some reason my birds don't like to stick their heads in the hole and wouldn't drink from it :confused:
But that is much easier, and I think I'll try it again :)
yes please do! what your doing would drive me nuts..plus I would come home from work with poopie water... if mine will use them so will yours!..lol.. just put it beside the regular water dish first for a week or two...even dip a few beaks in there...take away the regular water dish and check a few times a day to see if they are using it... check the level of the water real good so you know if some has been taken...need to be careful though they don't like change..but when they start to use them it will be so much easier on you...

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
What I found works best for me. It is going to get 6 degrees tonight and 3 tomorrow night. I am getting ready to go out and dump the waterers now 8:00pm. I will fill them up in the morning I have a heated faucet near my loft. Dump in the evening fill in the morning. Fresh water every day.

Randy

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
...just put it beside the regular water dish first for a week or two...even dip a few beaks in there...take away the regular water dish and check a few times a day to see if they are using it... check the level of the water real good so you know if some has been taken...
Please keep a close check on all your birds for the first week of the new waterer. Even if most birds make the transition quickly, a few might take longer. Monitor to be sure that no birds are becoming fatally dehydrated while they figure out the new facilities.

G

·
Well, it hit a highs of 25 here today and lows of -5, with 7" of snow on the ground! I had to change the water every hour today because it was freezing over so fast. I used small Rubbermaid type containers, just kept swapping them out. The loft never got over 34 and that was with the sun hitting directly thru the door & windows. Birds appear to be ok, fluffed up and angry looking but moving around quite well. It doesn't get that cold here normally!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I travel quite a bit and have to be gone for a few days at a time. I use a flat board with a light bulb mounted on it and then cut a 5 gallon bucket to fit over the light. I change the wattage of the bulb depending on how cold it. It works great for my bullet drinkers and for my large 6 gallon drinker for my chickens.
If anyone wants more specifics please let me know. They are cheap and easy to build.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
I use the same with the 5 gal bucket, easy to build plus keeps the water of the floor. I like that cuz not as muck poo gets in the water.
Dave

1 - 20 of 35 Posts