Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had 2 mourning doves who have nested for a couple of years in my yard. Yesterday one of them was killed. Don't know what to do about the one that is left. Will it leave or how will if find a new mate? Don't know if it is male or female. Feel sad that it just sits by itself. Can I purchase a mate for it?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Pigeon and Doves mate for life until one dies/gets killed. If that is the case, they will go and find a new mate. The mourning dove that is still staying around could mean a possibility that it has a nest/eggs. If that's the case, then it'll lay on them and take care of the young full-time.

I also read an interesting article last year, and it was talking about how mourning doves visit deceased mates place of death to mourn the death of their past mate which is pretty cool.

I also see that you're from the USA, mourning doves are wild abundant birds so I don't think you will need to purchase another mourning dove.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have had 2 mourning doves who have nested for a couple of years in my yard. Yesterday one of them was killed. Don't know what to do about the one that is left. Will it leave or how will if find a new mate? Don't know if it is male or female. Feel sad that it just sits by itself. Can I purchase a mate for it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pigeon and Doves mate for life until one dies/gets killed. If that is the case, they will go and find a new mate. The mourning dove that is still staying around could mean a possibility that it has a nest/eggs. If that's the case, then it'll lay on them and take care of the young full-time.

I also read an interesting article last year, and it was talking about how mourning doves visit deceased mates place of death to mourn the death of their past mate which is pretty cool.

I also see that you're from the USA, mourning doves are wild abundant birds so I don't think you will need to purchase another mourning dove.
Thank you for the info. I hope he/she finds a new mate soon. I have loved watching them. They would sit on my deck & feed each other & love on each other.:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the info. I hope he/she finds a new mate soon. I have loved watching them. They would sit on my deck & feed each other & love on each other.:)
Update on my doves: A new dove has shown up, much smaller than the other one that was lost. Don't know where he came from, but is very hungry. Hope these 2 get along well & stay together.:love:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts