Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MARY OF EXETER
Also a recipient of the Dickens Medal, she served for five years during the Second World War until 1945, dropped prepeatedly into France and then returning to England. Mary was enlisted in the EXETER GROUP on the National Pigeon Service lines of defensive communication.

Four times she was injured, but each time she recovered to deliver her messages. The first time she was shot. The second time, when she didn’t return, they assumed she had been killed. Four days later she dropped down on her loft covered with blood. She was ripped open from neck to her breast, she had been attacked by a falcon. Injured the third time she once more recovered only to be hit by shrapnel during a bombing raid. The shrapnel damaged her head and neck, but her resourceful owner, Charlie Brewer used skills from his trade as a cobbler to make her a leather collar and she lived for another ten years. She was buried with her collar. She had a total of 22 stitches in her one pound body, the equivalent of 4,000 stitches in the body of a 200 pound man.

I thought this would be interesting for everybody. She was a pigeon in World War Two. I thought of our own MARYOFEXETER when I read it

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
What a heartwarming story!! A VERY BRAVE and LUCKY PIJ!!

I, too, thought of our human member! Mmmmm, maybe there is such a thing as "transmigration!"

Thanks BeaverBandit and Becky for posting about Mary of Exeter!

Love and Hugs
Shi :)

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Now I know why our smart young Becky picked her her forum name. Not only does she know her pigeons but also their history. As usual I am amazed.

Who knows what messages Mary of Exeter brought back and how many lives were saved because of a bird that didn't quit. Great story thank you for sharing.

God Bless,
Tony

1 - 5 of 5 Posts