Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question.
I have a mated pair of Horseman Thief Pouters and 2 pair of their offspring.
Today, I watched as one of the oldest offspring (about 8 months old) fought it's mother out of the nest box. There isn't a nest or even a nest bowl and they rarely sleep in it since the last pair of squeakers moved out.
But now the father and this young bird are sitting together in the nest box and every time the mother lands in the box the young bird pecks and slaps her out.
Has the father now taken up with his offspring? Is this something with thiefs? Will pigeons mate with their offspring?

Thanks,
Randy

G

·
yes they will mate with their offspring on occasion and sounds like they are claiming the box as a pair too ..do you have enuf boxes for all your pairs ,it doesnt matter if you have nestbowl in them or not they still consider it their box to nest it .

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have enough nest boxes for 8 mating pair and only have 2. HAD 2. The offspring has forced it's mother out of her own nest box if what you say turns out to be fact. I thought they mated for life. His mate is sitting right there next to him. and he runs off with his daughter???????This sounds like a Jerry Springer episode!!!!

G

·
i have a pair of indian fantails that have done the same thing here , the father ,mother, daughter combo mating trio lol they do have two boxes though and he just jumps between the two so there is no one kicking anyone out of their box here thou ..what you gonna do ,it happens ..you could try mating her up to a brother for now or get her another mate and that should take care of the problem ;)

·
Registered
862 Posts
Seems to me you need another dominant male and a crate to lock the 2 together (daughter and new male)for a little while. Or better get new male,seperate males and females til spring,then lock daughter and new male.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts